GREENSBORO, N.C. – Rookie John Brvenik rallied for a 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 win over Adam Owen Ferrari and lifted Guilford College past Virginia Wesleyan College, 5-4, in both teams’ Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) tennis opener Friday.
The Quakers led, 2-1, following narrow doubles wins by Trevor Cox and Ben Nelson and Mark Cheong and Turner Votipka. The lead evaporated when Graham Wilson and Drew Tomajczyk scored straight-set triumphs at first and second singles, respectively.
Guilford’s Trevor Cox dropped just one point in a 6-0, 6-1, third-singles victory over Spenser Bullock, which tied the score at 3-3 and left the match’s outcome to the final three singles contests. Tyler Searcy won at fourth singles for the Marlins (0-2, 0-1 ODAC), but Guilford senior Mark Cheong pulled out a 6-2, 6-4 triumph in the number-five match.
Ferrari won the first set, 6-3, but Brevnik answered with a 6-1 win in the second. The Quakers’ freshman took a 3-0 lead in the decisive set and earned his first college victory with a 6-2 triumph.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers (1-1, 1-0 ODAC) return to action Sunday (2/17) at home against The Citadel, an NCAA Division I team. Guilford’s match at Methodist University, scheduled for Feb. 16, was postponed by the Saturday’s forecast of bad weather.
Guilford 5, Virginia Wesleyan 4
Feb 15, 2013 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
1. Graham Wilson (VWC) def. Turner Votipka (GC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Drew Tomajczyk (VWC) def. Erik Meiler (GC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Trevor Cox (GC) def. Spenser Bullock (VWC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Tyler Searcy (VWC) def. Charlie Smith (GC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Mark Cheong (GC) def. Donnie Greathouse (VWC) 6-2, 6-4
6. John Brvenik (GC) def. Adam Owen Ferrari (VWC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. Graham Wilson/Drew Tomajczyk (VWC) def. Erik Meiler/Charlie Smith (GC) 8-1
2. Trevor Cox/Ben Nelson (GC) def. Tyler Searcy/Adam Owen Ferrari (VWC) 8-6
3. Mark Cheong/Turner Votipka (GC) def. Ryan Sadinski/Spenser Bullock (VWC) 8-5
Virginia Wesleyan 0-2, 0-1 ODAC
Guilford 1-1, 1-0 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match
Brvenik’s win at 6th singles clinched the Quakers’ win.