GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team won its third straight match Wednesday with a convincing 8-1 victory over visiting Greensboro College (1-3) at the McMichael Centennial Class Courts.
The Quakers came out of the doubles matches with a 3-0 edge as Guilford’s first doubles unit of Erik Meiler and Charlie Smith pulled out a 9-7 win over Greensboro’s Zach Passman and Matthew Miller. Ben Nelson and Trevor Cox took an 8-3 decision at second doubles and Turner Votipka and Mark Cheong shutout Ian Weiner and Matthew Troy at third doubles, 8-0.
The Quakers (3-1) won five of six singles contests, losing only at second singles where Passman knocked off Meiler, 6-4, 6-4. Cheong pulled out a 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 victory at third singles over Troy. The remaining matches were decided in straight sets.
Guilford hosts preseason Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) favorite Washington and Lee University Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
Men’s Tennis Match Results
Greensboro vs Guilford
Feb 27, 2013 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Guilford 8, Greensboro 1
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Matthew Miller (GBRO) 6-1, 6-2
2. Zach Passman (GBRO) def. Erik Meiler (GC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Trevor Cox (GC) def. Kyle Gatti (GBRO) 6-3, 6-3
4. Mark Cheong (GC) def. Matthew Troy (GBRO) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
5. John Brvenik (GC) def. Matt Moscatello (GBRO) 6-3, 6-2
6. Blake Brown (GC) def. Ian Weiner (GBRO) 6-0, 6-0
1. Erik Meiler/Charlie Smith (GC) def. Zach Passman/Matthew Miller (GBRO) 9-7
2. Trevor Cox/Ben Nelson (GC) def. Kyle Gatti/Matt Moscatello (GBRO) 8-3
3. Turner Votipka/Mark Cheong (GC) def. Ian Weiner/Matthew Troy (GBRO) 8-0