ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Baseball (5-5, 1-2 SoCon)
Elon vs. NC State, Tuesday, March 5, at 6 p.m., Latham Park
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Friday-Sunday, March 8-10, at 4/2/1:30 p.m., Latham Park
• Elon played back-to-back 12-inning games against Furman to open Southern Conference play last weekend. The two teams split the extra-inning affairs. It was the first time that the Phoenix played back-to-back games that went 12 or more innings since 2000.
• Ryan Kinsella hit a homer in game two of the weekend series with Furman. It was his fourth home run in a five-game span.
• The maroon and gold will continue its season-long seven-game home stand this week by hosting both NC State and College of Charleston.
Men’s Basketball (20-10)
2013 Southern Conference Tournament, Asheville, N.C., March 9-11
#2 Elon vs. #10 UNCG/#7 Chattanooga, Saturday, March 9, at 6 p.m.
• Elon will open the 2013 Southern Conference Tournament on Saturday, March 9, at 6 p.m. versus seventh-seeded Chattanooga or tenth-seeded UNCG. The second-seeded Phoenix earned a first-round bye after clinching the North Division title on Feb. 21.
• Elon reached the 20-win plateau for the first time since the 1987-88 season with an 80-66 decision against UNCG on March 2. Matt Matheny became only the fifth head coach in program history to lead a team to 20 wins in a single season, as the program reaches the mark for the 15th time in history.
• Lucas Troutman became Elon’s single-season leader in blocked shots after tallying four against Davidson on Feb. 27. Troutman enters the SoCon Tournament with 61 blocked shots this season, good for first in the league.
Elon at Davidson College Invitational, Monday-Tuesday, March 4-5, Davidson, N.C.
• The Phoenix men’s golf team will play its second spring event as it competes in the 11-team Davidson College Invitational at the start of the week.
• The tournament has been shortened to 36 holes due to expected frost on Monday morning. Play will begin at 12:30 p.m. on Monday.
• SoCon rivals Davidson and Wofford are also in the field.
Men’s Tennis (4-3)
Elon vs. Radford, Wednesday, March 6, at 2 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon vs. USC Upstate, Saturday, March 9, at 1 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• The Phoenix returns to non-conference play this week with a pair of matches against Radford and USC Upstate.
• Elon won its Southern Conference opener on March 3 with a 6-1 decision against The Citadel. It marked the team’s third straight dual victory.
• Cameron Silverman and Stefan Fortmann remain in the ITA doubles rankings at No. 26, while Silverman ranks 26th in the nation in singles.
Elon at Charlotte, Wednesday, March 6, at 4/6 p.m. (DH), Charlotte, N.C.
Elon vs. Georgia Southern, Saturday-Sunday, March 9-10, at 1/3/1 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
• Elon went 3-1 last week with wins against East Carolina on Wednesday, Feb, 27, and a sweep of Manhattan College in a doubleheader on Sunday, March 3. The Phoenix only defeat came at the hands of No. 23 Virginia Tech in a 2-1 setback on Thursday, Feb. 28.
• Tomeka Watson was named the Southern Conference’s Player of the Week on Monday, Feb. 25, the first time that the senior has earned the league’s weekly accolade. The Jackson, Ga., native was also named the College Sports Madness National Player of the Week on Monday.
• The Phoenix will begin SoCon play on Saturday, March 9, with a doubleheader versus Georgia Southern at Hunt Softball Park.
Track and Field
Elon at Coastal Carolina Invitational, Friday-Saturday, March 8-9, Conway, S.C.
• Elon opens the 2013 outdoor campaign after tying its best finish at the Southern Conference Indoor Championships for fourth place.
• Louise Prevoteau won her second straight pentathlon title at the SoCon meet with a new school record 3,711 points. Freshman Sydney Griffin also won a league championship in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.65
• Griffin (60m-hurdles, 60m dash), Megan Kirschling (high jump), Tereza Novotna (3000m), Marie Borowycz (long jump), Jennifer Pash (400m) and Caroline McCaslin (mile run) earned a spot on the SoCon All-Freshman team at the SoCon Championships.
Women’s Basketball (15-12, 12-6 SoCon)
Elon at Georgia Southern, Monday, March 4, at 7 p.m., Statesboro, Ga.
Southern Conference Tournament, Asheville, N.C., March 9-11
Elon vs. TBD, Saturday, March 9, at TBD, Asheville, N.C. (Kimmel Arena)
• Elon will close out the regular season on Monday at Georgia Southern in a 7 p.m. game. The Phoenix defeated the Eagles earlier this season in Alumni Gym, 70-59.
• The Phoenix picked up two big victories last week with wins over Appalachian State and Davidson. It was the first win for Elon against the Mountaineers in over four years, helping the maroon and gold finish a perfect 9-0 in Alumni Gym in 2013.
• After finishing the regular season, the maroon and gold will travel to Asheville, N.C., for the 2013 Southern Conference Tournament. The Phoenix is assured a first-round bye, but won’t know it’s opponent or playing time until all regular-season games are completed Monday evening.
Elon at Kiawah Island Intercollegiate, Monday-Tuesday, March 4-5, Kiawah Island, S.C.
Elon at JMU/Eagle Landing Invitational, Friday-Sunday, March 8-10, Orange Park, Fla.
• Elon began play at the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate on Sunday and posted a first-round score of 310 to sit sixth in the 32-team field.
• Kathryn Buckingham shot a three-over 75 to sit in a tie for 15th individually after one round.
• After finishing competition in South Carolina, the Phoenix will head to Florida for the JMU/Eagle Landing Invitational which will feature 17 teams, including SoCon rivals Chattanooga, Samford and Western Carolina.
Women’s Tennis (10-1)
Elon vs. Samford, Saturday, March 9, at 12 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon vs. Chattanooga, Sunday, March 10, at 1 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• Currently riding a program-best 10-match winning streak, the Phoenix opens Southern Conference play this weekend against Samford and Chattanooga.
• Elon defeated Longwood, 6-1, in its last match to extend its winning streak to 10 matches. The longest streak prior to this season was eight.
• Bryn Khoury and Frida Jansaker both already sit with 10 victories in singles play this season, while the doubles team of Jansaker and Jordan Johnston is off to a 9-1 start.