GREENSBORO, N.C. — Guilford College men’s tennis evens its record to 4-4 with a 9-0 nonconference win against Averett University Monday.
The Quakers’ earned two victories by forfeit: John Brevnik’s fifth singles as well as Ben Nelson and Byron Hamilton’s third doubles. Guilford’s Turner Votipka defeated his first singles opponent, Alexander Terentiev, 6-3, 6-2. Erik Meiler and Ben Nelson played two and three singles, respectively, each winning 6-0, 6-0.
Meiler and Votipka paired for an 8-0 first doubles victory against Averett’s Terentiev and Julius Noreila. The number two doubles tandem of Trevor Cox and Charlie Smith defeated Ryan Atkins and Vili Korpela, 8-1.
The Quakers play their final home match this Saturday, Mar. 16 at 1:00 p.m. against Old Dominion Athletic Conference-newcomer Shenandoah University. Guilford then plays seven road matches to finish out their season.
Guilford 9, Averett 0
Mar 11, 2013 at Greensboro, NC (McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Alexander Terentiev (AUM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Erik Meiler (GC) def. Julius Noreila (AUM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Ben Nelson (GC) def. Ryan Atkins (AUM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Byron Hamilton (GC) def. Vili Korpela (AUM) 6-0, 6-1
5. David Wheaton (GC) def. Matias Partanen (AUM) 6-2, 6-1
6. John Brvenik (GC) def. No player (AUM), by forfeit
1. Erik Meiler/Turner Votipka (GC) def. Alexander Terentiev/Julius Noreila (AUM) 8-0
2. Trevor Cox/Charlie Smith (GC) def. Ryan Atkins/Vili Korpela (AUM) 8-1
3. Ben Nelson/Byron Hamilton (GC) def. No player/No player (AUM), by forfeit