LYNCHBURG, Va. — Guilford College’s men’s tennis team swept Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) foe Randolph College, 9-0, Saturday.
Guilford’s (8-7, 6-4 ODAC) Turner Votipka defeated Randolph’s (4-11, 0-9 ODAC) Dan Phung, 6-3, 6-0 at first singles. Trevor Cox won at the number two spot, 6-1, 6-0. Erik Meiler was victorious at third singles, 6-1, 6-1. Mark Cheong bested the Wildcats’ Hart Gillespie, 6-3, 6-0. Blake Brown bageled his fifth-singles opponent, 6-0, 6-0. Randolph defaulted sixth singles.
Cox and Meiler paired to stun their first doubles foes, 8-0. Votipka and Ben Nelson defeated Gillespie and Phung, 8-2. The Wildcats also defaulted third doubles.
The Quakers improve to 8-7 on the season with the conclusion of their final game of the regular season. Guilford’s 6-4 conference record propels it into fourth out of 11 teams.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Randolph College
Apr 13, 2013 at Lynchburg, VA
(Randolph Tennis Courts)
Guilford 9, Randolph College 0
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Dan Phung (RC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Trevor Cox (GC) def. Shaun Chopp (RC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Erik Meiler (GC) def. Zach Dales (RC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Mark Cheong (GC) def. Hart Gillespie (RC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Blake Brown (GC) def. Samim Yaquby (RC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ben Nelson (GC) def. No player (RC), by default
1. Trevor Cox/Erik Meiler (GC) def. Zach Dales/Shaun Chopp (RC) 8-0
2. Turner Votipka/Ben Nelson (GC) def. Hart Gillespie/Dan Phung (RC) 8-2
3. Byron Hamilton/Mark Cheong (GC) def. No player/No player (RC), by default
Guilford 8-7/6-4 ODAC
Randolph College 4-11/0-9 ODAC
T-3:30 pm A-25