GREENSBORO, N.C. — Guilford College’s men’s tennis team dropped its Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Tournament Quarterfinal match against Virginia Wesleyan College Saturday, 5-2. The Quakers were seeded fourth in the tournament entering today’s match and hosted by virtue of a 5-4 regular season victory over the Marlins, who are seeded fifth. Both teams sported a 6-4 conference record.
Guilford’s (8-8) Ben Nelson had his hand in both of the Quakers wins. He paired with Turner Votipkaat second doubles to defeat Virginia Wesleyan’s Spenser Bullock and Adam Owen Ferrari, 8-3. Trevor Cox and Erik Meiler dropped a tight first doubles match, 8-6.
The Quakers played four singles matches before the victory had been decided. Nelson defeated Lawrence Hunter at fifth singles, 6-2, 7-5. Votipka and Blake Brown did not finish their respective first and sixth singles matches because the Marlins had already solidified their victory.
Virginia Wesleyan improved to 11-11 on the season and continues play in the tournament on Saturday, Apr. 27 against the first-seeded Washington and Lee University Generals in the semifinals.
Tennis Match Results
Virginia Wesleyan vs Guilford
Apr 20, 2013 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Virginia Wesleyan 5, Guilford 2
1. Graham Wilson (VWC) vs. Turner Votipka (GC) no result
2. Drew Tomajczyk (VWC) def. Trevor Cox (GC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Spenser Bullock (VWC) def. Erik Meiler (GC) 7-6 (2-0), 1-6, 6-4
4. Tyler Chang (VWC) def. Mark Cheong (GC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ben Nelson (GC) def. Lawrence Hunter (VWC) 6-2, 7-5
6. Tyler Searcy (VWC) vs. Blake Brown (GC) no result
1. Graham Wilson/Drew Tomajczyk (VWC) def. Trevor Cox/Erik Meiler (GC) 8-6
2. Turner Votipka/Ben Nelson (GC) def. Spenser Bullock/Adam Owen Ferrari (VWC) 8-3
3. Tyler Chang/Lawrence Hunter (VWC) def. Byron Hamilton/Mark Cheong (GC) 8-0
Virginia Wesleyan 11-11
Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals