ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Baseball (22-20, 14-7 SoCon)
Elon at East Carolina, Tuesday, April 23, at 6 p.m., Greenville, S.C.
Elon at Georgia Southern, Friday-Sunday, April 26-28, at 6:00/2:30/1:30 p.m., Statesboro, Ga.
• After a 2-1 weekend against Wofford, Elon enters the week just one game back of Western Carolina for first place in the SoCon standings.
• Junior Ryan Kinsella hit three homers against the Terriers this weekend to climb into 10th place on Elon’s career home run chart with 28. His 16 long balls this season are tied for the 10th-most ever by an Elon player in a season. In the opener against Wofford, Kinsella had his first multi-homer game of his career and drove in a personal-best seven runs. It was the most RBI in a single game for an Elon player since Greg Annarummo’s 10-RBI game against Wake Forest on April 22, 2008.
• The maroon and gold will look to pick up a mid-week win at East Carolina before heading to Georgia Southern for another crucial SoCon series this weekend.
Elon at Southern Conference Championship, Monday-Tuesday, April 22-23, Daniel Island, S.C.
• The 2013 SoCon Men’s Golf Championship got underway on Sunday and the Phoenix posted a first-round 312 to sit in fifth place out of the 11 teams competing.
• Three Elon golfers – Jack Adkins, Will DiIanni and Jeff Kreiger – are tied for 13th individually.
• In its last tournament, the Phoenix placed in a tie for fourth at The Coca-Cola Wofford Invitational with Stuart Kaufman finishing in a tie for fifth individually.
Softball (15-28, 5-13 SoCon)
Elon at North Carolina Central, Tuesday, April 23 at 6 p.m., Durham, N.C.
Elon vs. NC State, Wednesday, April 24 at 6 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
Elon at Furman, Saturday-Sunday, April 27-28, at 1/3/1 p.m., Greenville, S.C.
• Elon will play its second game of the year versus North Carolina Central on Tuesday in Durham. The Phoenix defeated the Eagles, 6-3, at Hunt Softball Park on March 20.
• Senior Tomeka Watson earned her second Southern Conference Player of the Week accolade last Monday, April 15. Prior to the 2013 season, Watson had never received the league’s weekly honor.
• On Wednesday, the Phoenix hosts in-state rival and ACC opponent NC State at Hunt Softball Park. Elon is 6-6 in the all-time series versus NC State, including a 7-1 victory over the Wolfpack in Raleigh last season.