ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Baseball (23-23, 15-9 SoCon)
Elon at Wake Forest, Tuesday, April 30, at 6:00 p.m., Winston-Salem, N.C.
Elon vs. Wake Forest, Wednesday, May 1, at 6:30 p.m., Latham Park (Military Appreciation Day)
Elon at Appalachian State, Friday-Sunday, May 3-5, at 6:30/3:00/1:00 p.m., Boone, N.C.
• As the season enters the homestretch, Elon is once again in a battle near the top of the Southern Conference standings. The Phoenix enters the week with a 15-9 SoCon record and sits in third place in the league standings.
• Junior Ryan Kinsella is having a solid year at the plate. Kinsella entered weekend play ranked second in the nation with 17 home runs and third with 59 RBI and 125 total bases.
• In Elon’s 9-1 win over Georgia Southern on Sunday, senior Kyle Webb tossed the second complete game of his career. The righty needed just 111 pitches to get through nine innings. He did not walk a batter and allowed just one hit after the fifth inning. Webb also struck out a personal-best 11 hitters.
Elon Spring Game, Friday, May 3, at 7 p.m., Rhodes Stadium
• Elon will hold its annual Spring Football Game this Friday night in Rhodes Stadium. Admission is free.
• Fans will be able to get an early look at the 2013 Phoenix squad with this scrimmage.
• The 2013 football schedule poster will be available for free at the Spring Game. Following the game, the players featured on the poster will be available to sign it at a table near Alumni Field House.
Softball (16-30, 5-14 SoCon)
Elon vs. North Carolina A&T, Wednesday, May 1 at 4 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
Elon vs. Chattanooga, Saturday-Sunday, May 4-5 at 1/3/1 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
• In its final week of the regular-season, the Phoenix will look to improve upon its overall and Southern Conference standings prior to league championships in Greensboro next week.
• Elon’s Carleigh Nester hit her third home in as many games in the Phoenix’s contest at Furman on Saturday, April 27. Nester has set a new personal single-season high in home runs this season with nine, including seven in the month of April.
• On Sunday at 1 p.m., the Phoenix will host its Senior Day and honor its four seniors: infielder Ali Ford, catcher Camille Hill, pitcher Kari Pervell and outfielder Tomeka Watson.
Track and Field
Elon at Duke Twilight, Sunday, May 5, Durham, N.C.
• The Phoenix will have a few members of the squad compete at the Duke Twilight to help improve its standings for a NCAA Regional berth.
• Elon finished fourth at the SoCon Outdoor Championships, just 1.5 points out of third place. Three members of the maroon and gold were earned league championships at the meet: Caroline McCaslin (3,000-meter steeplechase), Suzanne Martin (javelin throw) and Kimberlyn Holt (hammer throw).
• Junior Allyson Oram set a new school-record in the 10,000-meters last Wednesday, April 24, at the Penn Relays. Oram ran a time of 35:37.76, breaking the previous record by nearly 40 seconds while finishing in the top-10 in the race.