Late Goal Give HPU Men’s Soccer A 2-2 Draw At Longwood

FARMVILLE, Va. – A late goal by junior Mamadee Nyepon helped the High Point University men’s soccer team pick up a 2-2 draw on the road at Longwood University on Monday night in Farmville, Va. Nyepon scored both goals in the game for the Panthers.

“We are disappointed because we came here with the goal of picking up the win and the full three points and we feel like we let two points get away,” head coach Dustin Fonder said. “That being said we showed good character to come back twice in the game. Mamadee has been one of the bright spots of the team so far this season. The effort and commitment he shows game in and game out is tremendous. We need to try to build on the positives from tonight and get ready for our next game.”

With time winding down in the second half, Nyepon muscled off a defender before beating the LU keeper with a low shot to tie the game at 2-2 in the 88th minute. Senior Adam Sewell started the play with a header forward to redshirt-freshman Pat Shelton off a goal kick. Shelton drew two defenders and slotted a through ball to Nyepon. The forward took two touches towards goal before hitting a low shot to the right post.

High Point finished with a 6-2 advantage in shots during extra time, but was unable to find a game winner. Sophomore Ben Burdon had the best chance of extra time when he got behind the Lancer backline and in one-on-one with the keeper. The forward dribbled at goal and hit a right-footed shot which hit off the right post. The Panthers finished with a 17-15 advantage in shots for the game.

The tie moves High Point’s record to 2-4-1 on the season while Longwood’s record goes to 1-3-2.

The Panthers controlled possession early in the contest but it would be Longwood that would score first with a goal against the run of play by Rhys Cairns in the 12th minute. Longwood sent a cross into the box on a counter attack which was cleared out by the HPU defense. Cairns controlled the clearance and hit a shot into the top right corner from 25-yards out to put the Lancers ahead 1-0.

The Panthers tied the score in the 22nd minute when Nyepon found the net for the Panthers from 18 yards away. Burdon ran onto the ball over the top on the right side and played it into the box on his first touch. The ball took a slight deflection and then was laid off to Nypon by freshman Matt Gweh at the top of the penalty area. Nyepon hit a shot to the left on his first touch which rolled under the onrushing LU keeper and into the net.

Nyepon’s two goals give the junior eight on the season. He has now scored in six-straight games for HPU.

Longwood retook the lead in the 54th minute on a header by Mike Durr off a corner kick. Cairns took the corner and hit a low line drive to the far post. Durr made a delayed run and headed the ball in from the top of the six-yard box to make the score 2-1.

Freshman Ryan Massey got the start in goal and made a career-high eight saves in the game for HPU. Carlos Canas made three saves for the Lancers.

High Point returns home on Saturday, Sept. 28, when the team will host inter-Triad rival Elon at Vert Stadium. The game is scheduled to kickoff at 7 p.m.