ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Football (2-4, 1-1 SoCon)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Oct. 7, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live, Thursday, Oct. 10, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
Elon at Wofford, Saturday, Oct. 12, at 1:30 p.m., Spartanburg, S.C.
• Elon claimed its fifth win in the last six seasons against Furman thanks to a 28-25 victory over the Paladins on Saturday.
• The Phoenix ran for 134 yards at Furman, the first time that the program has had three consecutive 100+ yard rushing games since September 2011.
• Senior Rasaun Rorie notched the first 100-yard receiving game of his career by catching three passes for 112 yards and a touchdown on Saturday.
• Senior Chandler Wrightenberry intercepted a Furman pass and returned it 33 yards for a touchdown. It was the first non-offensive TD for the Phoenix since a Joshua Jones INT return of 40 yards at Furman in 2011.
• The maroon and gold will return to the Upstate of South Carolina this weekend to face a top-20 Wofford squad. Elon is 11-25 in the previous 36 games against the Terriers.
Men’s Soccer (9-1-1, 1-0 SoCon)
Elon at Wofford, Saturday, Oct. 12, at 7 p.m., Spartanburg, S.C.
• Elon went 2-0 last week with a pair of 1-0 wins at Campbell (Oct. 1) and vs. Appalachian State (Oct. 5) in its Southern Conference opener.
• The Phoenix jumped back into the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) poll at No. 21. Elon is also ranked No. 21 by College Soccer News and No. 20 by College Soccer America.
• With its win against Appalachian State, the Phoenix is 7-1-1 under head coach Darren Powell in SoCon openers. Elon has also won its past seven matches against league competition dating back to last season.
• Powell is scheduled to appear on the NSCAA’s Weekly College Highlights and Rankings Show this Tuesday, Oct. 8, at 1 p.m. on nscaatv.com.
Wake Forest Fall Invitational, Friday-Sunday, Oct. 11-13, Winston-Salem, N.C.
• The Phoenix returns to action this weekend at the Wake Forest Fall Invitational.
• Cameron Silverman and Stefan Fortmann had good showings at the 2013 ITA Men’s Tennis All-American Championships last weekend in Tulsa, Okla. Silverman posted a 1-1 record in singles play, while he and Fortmann posted a 1-2 mark in doubles. Silverman, ranked 34th nationally, is 9-1 this fall in singles.
Volleyball (10-9, 2-2 SoCon)
Elon at North Carolina A&T, Tuesday, Oct. 8, at 7 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
Elon vs. The Citadel, Friday, Oct. 11, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Georgia Southern, Saturday, Oct. 12, at 4 p.m., Alumni Gym
• The Phoenix finished last week with a sweep at Davidson to post its fourth straight win over the Wildcats.
• Elon will play its last non-conference match of the season on Tuesday at nearby North Carolina A&T. The Aggies are coached by former Elon assistant coach Hal Clifton.
• The maroon and gold will return to Southern Conference play on Friday with rematches against The Citadel and Georgia Southern, both of which the Phoenix played the last weekend in September.
Women’s Soccer (6-2-3, 1-1-1 SoCon)
Elon vs. Wofford, Friday, Oct. 11, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. Furman, Sunday, Oct. 13, at 2 p.m., Rudd Field
• The Phoenix returns to action this weekend with a pair of home contests versus Wofford and Furman.
• Elon closed out its non-conference schedule in impressive fashion on Sunday following a 6-1 decision at Francis Marion. Marissa Russo scored twice for the Phoenix in the win.
• Elon has scored three or more goals in seven of its twelve matches this season.
Elon at Lady Pirate Intercollegiate, Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 7-8, Greenville, N.C.
• The Phoenix women’s golf squad will play its fourth of five fall tournaments this week as Elon will be one of 16 teams at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate hosted by East Carolina.
• Two other SoCon programs are also in the tournament – Appalachian State and Chattanooga.
• In its last event, the Phoenix placed ninth at the UNCG Starmount Fall Classic. Individually, Elon’s Sunna Vidisdottir earned a tie for 17th out of 84 participants.