ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Football (2-6, 132 SoCon)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Oct. 21, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live, Thursday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
Elon at Western Carolina, Saturday, Oct. 26 at 3:30 p.m., Cullowhee, N.C.
• Quarterback Mike Quinn completed 31 of his 44 pass attempts for 237 yards against Chattanooga, the third-best pass defense in the nation. Quinn has now attempted 171 consecutive passes without an interception.
• Both Alexander Dawson and Dustin Ruff set career highs in tackles vs. UTC. Dawson led the Phoenix with 11 tackles, while Ruff posted 10 stops.
• This weekend, Elon will travel to Western Carolina for a 3:30 p.m. game that will air live on WPCM 95.1 FM and 920 AM.
• Elon has won seven consecutive games against the Catamounts and boasts a 24-16-2 record all-time against WCU.
Elon at Old Dominion / OBX Collegiate, Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 21-22, Powells Point, N.C.
• In an event that began on Sunday, the Elon men’s golf team will play its third tournament of the year at the Old Dominion / OBX Collegiate this week.
• After the opening round on Sunday, Elon sat first out of 18 teams in the field after carding a round of 286. The maroon and gold held a three-stroke lead over Radford with two rounds to play.
• Elon’s top performer on Sunday was John Somers who notched a one-under 70 to sit in a tie for second out of 93 golfers.
Men’s Soccer (10-3-1, 2-2 SoCon)
Elon at Duke, Tuesday, Oct. 22, at 7 p.m., Durham, N.C.
Elon at Davidson, Saturday, Oct. 26, at 7 p.m., Davidson, N.C.
• Elon plays its final two regular-season road games this week, as the Phoenix travels to Duke on Tuesday (Oct. 22) in a non-conference tilt before visiting Davidson on Saturday (Oct. 26) for a Southern Conference match against the Wildcats.
• The Phoenix went 1-1 this past week, picking up three points against conference foe Georgia Southern at home last Tuesday (Oct. 15). Elon however suffered a 1-0 setback at No. 22 Furman on Saturday (Oct. 20), only the second time that the Phoenix has been shutout this season.
• The win against Georgia Southern gave the Phoenix its fifth double-digit win season under ninth-year head coach Darren Powell and his 89th career win at Elon.
Elon Invitational, Friday-Sunday, Oct. 25-27, Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• The Elon men’s tennis team concludes its fall campaign this weekend with the Elon Fall Invitational at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
• Cameron Silverman had an impressive run at the ITA Carolina Regional last week, advancing all the way to the semifinals. Silverman, ranked 34th nationally, is 14-2 in singles play this fall.
Volleyball (13-11, 4-4 SoCon)
Elon vs. Furman, Friday, Oct. 25, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Wofford, Saturday, Oct. 26, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym (Pink Day)
• The Phoenix rallied from a 2-0 deficit at Chattanooga on Saturday to win, 3-2, off double-digit kill performances by five players and double-doubles from three.
• Elon returns home this weekend to host league co-leader Furman and Wofford. The maroon and gold will plays six of its final matches in Alumni Gym, including the next four straight.
• Saturday will mark Elon’s annual Pink Day game in support of breast cancer awareness and research. All fans are encouraged to wear pink.
Women’s Soccer (10-2-4, 4-1-2 SoCon)
Elon vs. Chattanooga, Friday, Oct. 25, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. Samford, Sunday, Oct. 27, at 2 p.m., Rudd Field
• Winners of three straight, the Elon women’s soccer team returns home this weekend for its final two regular season home games. Elon hosts Chattanooga on Friday night before welcoming Samford to campus on Sunday at 2 p.m. for Senior Day.
• The Phoenix posted two key road wins this week to remain in the chase in the Southern Conference standings. Elon topped Georgia Southern in double overtime on Friday night, 3-2, before posting a 4-2 win at Davidson on Sunday.
• Nicole Dennion enters this week’s matches with 10 goals and five assists this season, good for 25 total points.