ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at 2013 Southern Conference Championships, Saturday, Nov. 2, Birmingham, Ala.
• The Phoenix returns to the course this week after last competing at the Blue Ridge Open (Oct. 18) and the NCAA Pre-Nationals (Oct. 19).
• Elon’s Allyson Oram set a new school-record at the NCAA Pre-Nationals in Terre Haute, Ind. Oram ran a time of 21:18.34 in the women’s 6K race, 33 seconds better than her previous personal-best and breaking the previous program mark by nearly 17 seconds.
• Luis Vargas also competed at the NCAA Pre-Nationals was finished as the runner-up in the men’s 8K white race. Vargas crossed the line with a time of 24:30.11 and finished between a pair of NCAA National runner-ups from last year’s outdoor track and field championships.
• The women’s and men’s programs finished second and eighth, respectively, at last year’s SoCon Championships. The Phoenix women were just four points shy from the league crown, but had five athletes recognized as all-league performers. Vargas became the first male runner in school history to earn first team All-SoCon accolades after finishing sixth overall. It was the highest place ever for an Elon men’s runner in program history.
Football (2-7, 1-4 SoCon)
Elon Football Live, Wednesday, Oct. 30, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
• Despite Elon being on a bye week, the Elon Football Live radio show will still air this week, but on a different day. Due to Halloween, this week’s radio show will be broadcast on Wednesday.
Elon at Wendy’s Kiawah Classic, Sunday-Tuesday, Nov. 3-5, Kiawah Island, S.C.
• Elon’s men’s golf program will wrap up its fall action at the Wendy’s Kiawah Classic hosted by Charleston Southern as November begins.
• In the first three events under new head coach Don Hill, the Phoenix has finished no worse than in a tie for fifth place.
Men’s Soccer (11-4-1, 3-2 SoCon)
Elon vs. No. 8 Coastal Carolina, Tuesday, Oct. 29, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. UNCG, Saturday, Nov. 2, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• Elon wraps up its regular-season with a pair of home contests against No. 8 Coastal Carolina (Oct. 29) and I-40 rival and Southern Conference foe UNCG (Nov. 2).
• The Phoenix split its match ups last week, suffering a 3-0 setback at Duke on Tuesday before rebounding and earning a 3-2 double-overtime win at Davidson on Saturday.
• The win on Saturday at Davidson was Elon head coach Darren Powell’s 90th in his career at the school, three shy of tying the all-time program record.
• The maroon and gold senior class will be recognized on Saturday prior its match versus the Spartans.
Volleyball (15-11, 6-4 SoCon)
Elon vs. Appalachian State, Friday, Nov. 1, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Western Carolina, Saturday, Nov. 2, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon went 2-0 last week with thrilling five-set wins over then league-leader Furman and Wofford. The wins marked Elon’s third straight home win over the Paladins and its 11th straight overall against the Terriers.
• Senior Cali Estes posted triple-doubles in both matches, giving her three triple-doubles on the season. The Carmel, Ind., native set a new career-high with 21 kills against Furman along with 26 assists and 12 digs. Against Wofford, Estes tallied 13 kills, 24 assists and 12 digs.
• The Phoenix will remain home in Alumni Gym this weekend with matches against Appalachian State on Friday and Western Carolina on Saturday.
Elon vs. Pfeiffer (exhibition), Saturday, Nov. 2, at 11:30 a.m., Alumni Gym
• Phoenix fans can get its first look at the 2013-14 women’s basketball team as it hosts an exhibition match against Pfeiffer on Saturday, Nov. 2, in Alumni Gym.
• Elon returns nine players and three starters from last year’s team that went 19-14 en route to a post-season appearance in the Women’s Basketball Invitational (WBI).
• The Southern Conference Preseason Coaches and Media Polls were released last week and Elon was picked to finish the season fifth in both polls. The Phoenix was also picked fifth last season before besting that prediction with a program-best 14-6 record in the league and a third place finish. Senior Kelsey Harris was one of 10 player selected to the SoCon Preseason All-Conference team.
Elon at Palmetto Intercollegiate, Monday, Oct. 28, Kiawah Island, S.C.
• The women’s golf team will conclude its fall play on Monday as part of the 19-team field at the Palmetto Intercollegiate hosted by College of Charleston.
• Play began on Sunday with Elon concluding the day in 14th place. The second round of the day was suspended due to darkness.
• The Phoenix has placed in the top 10 in each of its other four fall events.
Women’s Soccer (11-2-5, 5-1-3 SoCon)
Elon at UNCG, Wednesday, Oct. 30, at 7 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
Southern Conference Tournament Quarterfinals, Sunday, Nov. 3, TBD
• Elon closes out the regular season on Wednesday night at UNCG. Kick is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Elon went 1-0-1 last week, posting a 3-0 win over Chattanooga on Friday and a 1-1 draw versus Samford on Sunday.
• Sophomore forward Nicole Dennion scored all three of Elon’s goals in the win over the Lady Mocs. Dennion leads the SoCon in goals (13) and points (31). Her 13 goals are the most in Elon’s Division I era for women’s soccer (10th all-time in program history).