ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at Three Stripe Invitational, Saturday, Nov. 9, Raleigh, N.C.
• Members of the Phoenix will race this Saturday, Nov. 9, at the NC State Three Stripe Invitational.
• The Phoenix competed at the 2013 Southern Conference Cross Country Championships this past Saturday (Nov. 2) in Birmingham, Ala. The women’s team finished as the runner-up and was two points shy of the league title. The men finished seventh overall.
• Luis Vargas finished third overall in the men’s 8K race with a time 24:52.92. The junior from Angier, N.C., recorded the highest finish ever for an Elon male at the SoCon Championships and received All-SoCon first team honors for the second straight season.
• The women’s top-five each earned All-SoCon honors at the league championships. Senior Allyson Oram recorded the highest finish for a female runner since 2007 with a fifth-place standing and received All-SoCon first team accolades. Elyse Bierut, Tereza Novotna, Haylee Dawe and Kimberly Johansen made the second team with Johansen also earning a spot on the All-SoCon Freshman team.
Football (2-7, 1-4 SoCon)
Inside the Huddle, Monday, Nov. 4, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live, Thursday, Nov. 7, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
Elon vs. The Citadel, Saturday, Nov. 9, at 1:30 p.m., Rhodes Stadium (Homecoming)
• Elon quarterback Mike Quinn established a new Southern Conference single-season record during the maroon and gold’s last outing. In that game, Quinn ran his streak of pass attempts without an interception to 207, passing the mark of 203 set by Furman’s Braniff Bonaventure in 1996.
• Andre Davis recorded the first 100-yard receiving game of his career in Elon’s last game. The sophomore caught six passes for 162 yards and a score against Western Carolina.
• Senior defensive back Chandler Wrightenberry had four tackles vs. Western Carolina to surpass the 200 tackle plateau for his career. He now has 203 career stops.
• Elon will return to Rhodes Stadium for the next two weeks, facing off with The Citadel in this Saturday’s Homecoming tilt. The Phoenix is 5-7 in 12 meetings all time against the Bulldogs.
Elon vs. Lynchburg (Exhibition), Monday, Nov. 4, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Washington & Lee, Friday, Nov. 8, at 7:30 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon at Marist, Sunday, Nov. 10, at 5 p.m., Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
• The Elon men’s basketball team makes its much anticipated debut this week with several games. Elon hosts Lynchburg tonight at 7 p.m. in its lone exhibition game of the season. On Friday, Nov. 8, Elon hosts Washington & Lee in its regular season opener at 7:30 p.m. in Alumni Gym. On Sunday, Nov. 10, the Phoenix hits the road to face Marist at 5 p.m.
• Coming off its Southern Conference North Division championship last season, Elon was predicted to finish first in both Southern Conference Preseason Polls this season. Elon ended last year with a 21-12 record, as the Phoenix made its first postseason appearance at the Division I level with a trip to the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT).
• Elon returns all five starters from last year’s squad, including Ryley Beaumont, Austin Hamilton, Jack Isenbarger, Sebastian Koch and Lucas Troutman. Troutman, Isenbarger and Beaumont earned preseason all-league honors.
Elon at Wendy’s Kiawah Classic, Monday-Tuesday, Nov. 4-5, Kiawah Island, S.C.
• The first round of Elon’s final fall tournament was held on Sunday with Jack Adkins pacing the Phoenix with a one-under-par round of 71. Adkins sat tied for sixth individually, while the team rated 11th out of 18 teams.
• The field includes five programs rated in the top 54, including 28th-rated South Carolina, which led the tournament after one round.
Men’s Soccer (13-4-1, 4-2 SoCon)
Southern Conference Tournament – First Round
No. 2 Elon vs. No. 7 Appalachian State, Saturday, Nov. 9, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• Elon will face Appalachian State in the opening round of the 2013 Southern Conference Men’s Soccer Championships on Saturday, Nov. 9. The two-time defending league tournament champion Phoenix earned the No. 2 seed on Saturday, Nov. 2, after defeating UNCG 4-3.
• The maroon and gold erased a 3-1 second-half deficit against the Spartans for its third straight win to close out the regular-season. Junior Jason Waterman scored twice in the second stanza, including the game-winner in the 87th minute, to help the Phoenix win its 13th game of the year. Those 13 wins are a new program-high for regular-season victories at the Division I level.
• Prior to the match against UNCG, the Phoenix recognized its five-person senior class of Mark Berlin, Nick Butterly, Charles Howard, Daniel Lovitz and Matt Wescoe. The quintet currently has 45 wins as a group, the most out of any men’s soccer senior class at the Division I level.
• Head coach Darren Powell picked up his 92nd win at Elon with the win over his alma matter on Saturday. He is one win shy of tying Steve Ballard’s (1978-87) program-record of 93.
Volleyball (16-12, 7-5 SoCon)
Elon at Wofford, Friday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m., Spartanburg, S.C.
Elon at Furman, Saturday, Nov. 9, at 5 p.m., Greenville, S.C.
• The Phoenix split a pair of matches over the weekend, claiming a 3-1 win over Western Carolina after falling to Appalachian State the previous night.
• Cali Estes posted two more triple-doubles to extend her streak to four straight (five on the season). The senior recorded 10 kills, 13 assists and 12 digs in three sets against the Mountaineers and 12 kills, 19 assists and 15 digs in the four-set match versus the Catamounts.
• Elon will play its final two regular-season road matches of the season this weekend at Wofford and Furman. The Phoenix defeated both the Paladins and the Terriers just over a week ago in Alumni Gym.
Elon vs. Winston-Salem State, Friday, Nov. 8, at 5 p.m., Alumni Gym
• The Phoenix looked strong in its lone exhibition of the season, defeating Pfeiffer, 83-38. Autumn Carter led the maroon and gold with 24 points, while rookie Jenifer Rhodes hauled down 15 boards.
• Elon will open the regular season at home for the first time in two years with a contest against Winston-Salem State on Friday, Nov. 8.
• The maroon and gold has won its last five straight home openers, including a 62-59 victory over the Rams in 2008.
Women’s Soccer (12-2-6, 5-1-3 SoCon)
Southern Conference Tournament Semifinals
No. 2 Elon at No. 6 Wofford, Friday, Nov. 8, at 7:30 p.m., Spartanburg, S.C.
• The second-seeded Elon women’s soccer team returns to action on Friday night, Nov. 8, at 7:30 p.m. against sixth-seeded Wofford in the semifinals of the 2013 Southern Conference Women’s Soccer Championship.
• Elon claimed a 3-1 win against Davidson on Sunday, Nov. 3, in the quarterfinals, as Nicole Dennion continued her amazing sophomore campaign with a pair of second-half goals. Dennion leads the SoCon with 15 goals this season.
• Elon finishes the season with an unbeaten record at home at 7-0-3. The Phoenix is unbeaten in its last nine matches overall dating back to Oct. 6.
Kitty Harrison Tournament, Friday-Sunday, Nov. 8-10, Chapel Hill, N.C.
• The Elon women’s tennis team closes its fall campaign this week with the Kitty Harrison Tournament in Chapel Hill, N.C.
• The Phoenix last competed at the Carolina ITA Regional on Oct. 20 in Chapel Hill. Jordan Johnston and Frida Jansaker advanced to the second round of the doubles draw, while Bryn Khoury and Tolley Rice both posted singles wins.