ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at NCAA Southeast Regional Championships, Friday, Nov. 15, Charlottesville, Va.
• Members of the Elon men’s and women’s cross country teams will compete this Friday at the 2013 NCAA Southeast Regionals in Charlottesville, Va.
• The Phoenix women’s earned its highest finish ever at last year’s regionals with the maroon and gold coming in at 16th.
• Luis Vargas set a new school-record in the men’s 10K race at last season’s regional championships. The Angier, N.C., native ran a time of 31:35.37 at the meet and finished 61st overall out of 228 competitors.
Football (2-8, 1-5 SoCon)
Inside the Huddle, Monday, Nov. 11, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live, Thursday, Nov. 14, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
Elon vs. Georgia Southern, Saturday, Nov. 16, at 3 p.m., Rhodes Stadium
• Quarterback Mike Quinn ran his Southern Conference season record streak of pass attempts without an interception to 210 during the Homecoming tilt on Saturday.
• Linebacker Jonathan Spain made 11 tackles vs. The Citadel and has climbed to eighth on Elon’s FCS career tackles chart with 226 total stops.
• This Saturday will mark the final home game of the season. Prior to the game, the Phoenix will recognize its senior class.
• Elon will play host to Georgia Southern in its home finale on Community Day.
Men’s Basketball (2-0)
Elon at Charlotte, Friday, Nov. 15, at 4 p.m., Charotte, N.C.
• Off to a 2-0 start, the Elon men’s basketball team heads down I-85 on Friday to face the Charlotte 49ers at 4 p.m. inside Halton Arena.
• The Phoenix opened the season with a 114-64 win over Washington & Lee inside a sold out Alumni Gym on Friday, Nov. 8. The sellout marked the fifth straight for Elon.
• Elon went on the road on Sunday and registered a 75-48 win over the Marist Red Foxes. The 27-point margin of victory marks Elon’s largest on the road since Nov. 29, 1996, against Lock Haven.
• In two games thus far, Elon is shooting 61 percent from the field, including 46 percent from long range.
Men’s Soccer (13-4-2, 4-2-0 SoCon)
2013 Southern Conference Championships
Elon vs. Georgia Southern, Friday, Nov. 15, at 5:30 p.m., Greenville, S.C. (Semifinals)
TBD vs. TBD, Sunday, Nov. 17, at 1 p.m., Greenville, S.C. (Championship)
• The No. 2 seed Phoenix will face No. 6 seed Georgia Southern in the first semifinals match of the Southern Conference Championship on Friday, Nov. 15, in Greenville, S.C.
• Elon advanced to the semifinal round after defeating Appalachian State, 8-7, in a penalty-kick shootout in the quarterfinal round last Saturday. Nathan Diehl scored the equalizing goal in the 87th minute for the Phoenix before the match went into two overtime sessions prior to the penalty kicks.
• Elon defeated Georgia Southern in last year’s semifinal match in the SoCon Tournament with the Phoenix prevailing with a 1-0 win to advance to the championship round. Elon also defeated the Eagles 1-0 earlier this season on Oct. 15 with James Brace scoring the lone goal.
Volleyball (16-14, 7-7 SoCon)
Elon vs. UNCG, Wednesday, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Davidson, Saturday, Nov. 16, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym (Senior Night)
• The Phoenix will close out the regular season this week with two home matches. Elon will host local conference rival UNCG on Wednesday before taking on Davidson on Saturday. The maroon and gold are in good shape to make the Southern Conference tournament for the fourth straight year.
• Saturday’s match against Davidson will mark senior night for Cali Estes and Maggie Reichard, as well as student assistant coach Will Llamas. The seniors have helped Elon to a 72-58 record over the past four years, including three winning seasons.
Women’s Basketball (1-0)
Elon at UNC Wilmington, Wednesday, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
Elon at VCU, Sunday, Nov. 17, at 2 p.m., Richmond, Va.
• The maroon and gold opened the season with a 73-68 win over Winston-Salem State in Alumni Gym Friday. Sam Coffer posted a double-double with 14 points and a career-high 14 boards, while Kelsey Harris matched her career high with 18 points.
• Elon will play its first two road games of the season with a game at UNC Wilmington on Wednesday and at VCU on Sunday.
• The Phoenix hosted both the Rams and Seahawks in Alumni Gym last season with victories over each team.