GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College pulled out an 8-0 win over visiting Roanoke College Friday in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) opener for both teams.
Despite the final margin, many of the contests were close decisions that used the afternoon’s remaining daylight. (The second-singles match was not played due to darkness.)
The doubles pairings set the tone where Turner Votipka and Erik Meiler pulled out a 9-8 first-doubles win over Roanoke’s Joseph Ross and Matt Kessler, winning 9-7 in the tiebreak. The third-doubles match went to Guilford freshmen Mason Church and Levi Bruff, who edge the Maroons’ Lewis Young and Chris Teeple, 8-5.
While the Quakers won all five singles contests in straight sets, Roanoke took at least one game in every match. Votipka knocked off the Roanoke rookie Ross, 6-2, 6-4 at first singles. Teammate Trevor Cox claimed a hard-fought 6-4, 6-4 win over the Maroons’ Chris Migliarese.
Guilford is now 2-2 on the year (1-0 ODAC) headed into Saturday’s (3/1) scheduled home match with Lynchburg College. The ODAC tilt marks the Quakers’ third of four contests in four days and begins at 1:00 p.m. on Guilford’s McMichael Centennial Class Courts.
Tennis Match Results
Roanoke vs Guilford
Feb 28, 2014 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Guilford 8, Roanoke 0
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Joseph Ross (RC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Erik Meiler (GC) vs. Matt Kessler (RC) unfinished
3. Trevor Cox (GC) def. Chris Migliarese (RC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Aaron Smedley (GC) def. Jacob Morris (RC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Levi Bruff (GC) def. Lewis Young (RC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Blake Brown (GC) def. Chris Teeple (RC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Erik Meiler/Turner Votipka (GC) def. Joseph Ross/Matt Kessler (RC) 9-8 (9-7)
2. Trevor Cox/Aaron Smedley (GC) def. Jacob Morris/Chris Migliarese (RC) 8-4
3. Mason Church/Levi Bruff (GC) def. Lewis Young/Chris Teeple (RC) 8-5
Roanoke 2-1, 0-1 ODAC
Guilford 2-2, 1-0 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match