GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College took advantage of a short-handed Lynchburg College team to improve to 2-0 in Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) men’s tennis matches Saturday. The Quakers won two points by default in a 9-0 home triumph over the visiting Hornets (0-3, 0-2 ODAC), who were missing a player due to injury.
Guilford (3-2, 2-0 ODAC) won both doubles matches, but the Hornets top tandem did not go quietly. The Quakers’ team of Turner Votipka and Erik Meiler went the distance before pulling off a 9-7 victory over Lynchburg’s Tyler Long and Matt Karvelas. Aaron Smedley and Trevor Cox gave Guilford a 2-0 edge with their 8-1 second-doubles win over Josh Johnson and Andrew Link.
Votipka claimed a hard-fought 6-4, 6-4 win over Karvelas at first singles. Meiler had an easier time in his 6-0, 6-0 win over Link at second singles.
Guilford’s Hilton Bilbrey and Mark Wasilewski made their college debuts at fourth and fifth singles, respectively, and scored straight-set wins.
The Quakers wrap up a stretch of four matches in as many days Sunday (3/2) when they visit NCAA Division II member Pfeiffer University at 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Lynchburg vs Guilford
Mar 01, 2014 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Guilford 9, Lynchburg 0
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Matt Karvelas (LCM) 6-4, 6-4
2. Erik Meiler (GC) def. Andrew Link (LCM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Trevor Cox (GC) def. Josh Johnson (LCM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Hilton Bilbrey (GC) def. Tyler Long (LCM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
5. Mark Wasilewski (GC) def. Tayler Tepper (LCM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Blake Brown (GC) def. No player (LCM), by default
1. Turner Votipka/Erik Meiler (GC) def. Tyler Long/Matt Karvelas (LCM) 9-7
2. Aaron Smedley/Trevor Cox (GC) def. Josh Johnson/Andrew Link (LCM) 8-1
3. Mason Church/Levi Bruff (GC) def. No player/No player (LCM), by default
Lynchburg 0-3, 0-2 ODAC
Guilford 3-2, 2-0 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match