MISENHEIMER, N.C. – Host Pfeiffer University captured all three doubles points and five of six singles contests in Sunday’s 8-1 win over Guilford College.
The NCAA Division II Falcons improve to 5-2 on the year, while Guilford drops to 3-4 after its fourth match in as many days.
Pfeiffer took a 3-0 lead with three doubles wins. The Quakers’ Mason Church and Blake Brown put up a fight in the third doubles flight before falling to Pfeiffer’s Orlando Castillo and Axel Woerner, 8-5.
The Falcons picked up straight-set wins in the first four singles matches, including Loic Minery’s 6-4, 6-0 win over Turner Votipka at first singles. Pfeiffer’s Stephen Miller rallied from a one-set deficit before pulling out a 4-6, 6-1, 10-4 win over the Quakers’ Levi Bruff in the number-five singles match.
Brown scored Guilford’s lone point with a 2-6, 6-4, 10-4 win over Pfeiffer’s Bret Williams.
Today’s match marked the start of a four-match road swing for the Quakers. Coach Dave McCain’s club visits Old Dominion Athletic Conference rival Washington and Lee University Wednesday (3/5) at 4:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Pfeiffer
Mar 02, 2014 at Misenheimer, NC
(Knapp Tennis Center)
Pfeiffer 8, Guilford 1
1. Loic Minery (PU) def. Turner Votipka (GC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Axel Woerner (PU) def. Erik Meiler (GC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sebastian Wernecke (PU) def. Trevor Cox (GC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jimmy Molina (PU) def. Aaron Smedley (GC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Stephen Miller (PU) def. Levi Bruff (GC) 4-6, 6-1, 10-4
6. Blake Brown (GC) def. Bret Williams (PU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-4
1. Loic Minery/Sebastian Wernecke (PU) def. Turner Votipka/Erik Meiler (GC) 8-3
2. Stephen Miller/Bret Williams (PU) def. Trevor Cox/Aaron Smedley (GC) 8-2
3. Orlando Castillo/Axel Woerner (PU) def. Mason Church/Blake Brown (GC) 8-5
Pfeiffer is an NCAA Division III school