ELON, N.C. – The Elon University men’s tennis team, ranked No. 46 in the country, made quick work of the visiting Davidson Wildcats today, March 9, with a 6-1 victory at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
“We’re getting stronger as a team,” said Elon head coach Michael Leonard. “These last two weeks, every match we’ve had has gotten a little bit better so we’ll hope that continues this week against Winthrop.”
Cameron Silverman, ranked No. 26 in the country, clinched the match for the Phoenix with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Robert Lightbourn on court No. 1. Silverman was one of three Elon players to drop three games or less on the afternoon against the Wildcats with Jordan Kaufman losing two in a 6-0, 6-2 victory on court No. 5 andJuan Madrid dropping just one in the first set on the way to a 6-1, 6-0 win on court No. 6.
Stefan Fortmann followed Silverman minutes after the senior clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win on court No. 4 over J.B. Gough. The score marks the second match in a row Fortmann has won on singles court No. 4 by the score of 6-2, 6-2.
Brian Kowalski earned the sixth and final point for the Phoenix with a 7-5, 6-2 win on court No. 3 against Davidson’s Ethan Kallick. The junior got a break to end the first set after trading games with Kallick throughout the previous games.
Robert Lindgren was the only Elon player to fall on the afternoon, as the sophomore lost a 6-2, 6-3 decision on court No. 2 to Connor Evins.
Elon swept the doubles point with Fortmann and Madrid picking up a convincing 8-1 victory on court No. 3. They were followed by Silverman and Kaufman, who topped Kallick and Evan Watkins on court No. 1 by a score of 8-3. Kowalski and Lindgren polished off the doubles sweep with a 8-4 victory on court No. 2.
The Phoenix returns to action Friday, March 14, out of Southern Conference competition when they travel to face the Winthrop Golden Eagles. The match in Rock Hill, S.C. is set for 2 p.m.
No. 46 Elon 6, Davidson 1
1. No 26 Cameron Silverman (ELON) def. Robert Lightbourn (DAV), 6-2, 6-1
2. Connor Evins (DAV) def. Robert Lindgren (ELON), 6-2, 6-3
3. Brian Kowalski (ELON) def. Ethan Kallick (DAV), 7-5, 6-2
4. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. J.B. Gough (DAV), 6-2, 6-2
5. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Ricky Saad (DAV), 6-0, 6-2
6. Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Jordan Hart (DAV), 6-1, 6-0
1. Cameron Silverman/Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Ethan Kallick/Evan Watkins (DAV), 8-3
2. Brian Kowalski/Robert Lindgren (ELON) def. Robert Lightbourn/Ricky Saad (DAV), 8-4
3. Stefan Fortmann/Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Alex Howard/Connor Evins (DAV), 8-1