DAVIDSON, N.C. – Playing just its second Southern Conference match of the season, the Elon University women’s tennis team stretched its winning streak to eight in a row with a 7-0 sweep of Davidson today, March 15.
“The team played extremely focused tennis today and played with a lot of positive energy,” said Elon head coach Elizabeth Anderson. “We are looking forward to the opportunity to play Wake Forest tomorrow afternoon.”
The Phoenix earned the doubles point to go up 1-0 after all three Elon duos picked up victories. Jordan Johnston and Barbora Lazarova got a challenge from Elaina Cummer and Brites Moniz-Soares, but ultimately prevailed with a 8-6 win on court No. 1.
The pairing of Frida Jansaker and Maria Camara Ruiz on court No. 2 and Bryn Khoury and Taylor Casey on court No. 3 had a bit easier of a time, as Jansaker and Camara Ruiz topped Nisha Crouser and Jenna Brunner by a score of 8-2 and Khoury and Casey won 8-3 over Tamara Hill and Sarah Stein.
Elon continued its roll against Davidson as singles continued with Tolley Rice first off the court with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Hill on court No. 6. Lazarova then extended the Elon lead to 3-0 after finishing her match on court No. 3 with a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Crouser.
Khoury clinched the victory for the Phoenix with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Stein on court No. 4.
The Phoenix completed the sweep with wins on court Nos. 1, 2 and 5 from Johnston, Jansaker and Casey to earn their sixth sweep in eight matches during the current winning streak.
During the streak, both Johnston and Lazarova hold perfect 7-0 marks while Jansaker has gone 7-0 since picking up her first win of the season in a 4-3 loss to Kansas State on Jan. 25 in the ITA Kickoff Weekend tournament in Athens, Ga. Khoury’s record during the streak sits at 6-1. Her only loss came in a tightly contested match against UNC Wilmington on Feb. 17.
Elon finishes off its nonconference slate tomorrow on the road at 2 p.m. against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. In 21 matches against ACC opponents, Elon has picked up one victory since joining the Division I ranks—against Wake Forest last season on Jan. 26. This season, Elon is 0-2 against the ACC having dropped matches to Virginia Tech and North Carolina to start the season.
Elon 7, Davidson 0
1. Jordan Johnston (ELON) def. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV), 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
2. Frida Jansaker (ELON) def. Elaina Cummer (DAV), 6-1, 6-2
3. Barbora Lazarova (ELON) def. Nisha Crouser (DAV), 6-1, 6-2
4. Bryn Khoury (ELON) def. Sarah Stein (DAV), 6-1, 6-1
5. Taylor Casey (ELON) def. Jenna Brunner (DAV), 6-4, 6-4
6. Tolley Rice (ELON) def. Tamara Hill (DAV), 6-1, 6-1
1. Jordan Johnston/Barbora Lazarova (ELON) def. Elaina Cummer/Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV), 8-6
2. Frida Jansaker/Maria Camara Ruiz (ELON) def. Nisha Crouser/Jenna Brunner (DAV), 8-2
3. Bryn Khoury/Taylor Casey (ELON) def. Tamara Hill/Sarah Stein (DAV), 8-3