WINCHESTER, Va. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team snapped a four-match losing streak Saturday with a 9-0 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) triumph at Shenandoah University.
The Quakers (4-6, 3-2 ODAC) jumped out to a 3-0 lead by sweeping the doubles matches. Guilford’s top tandem of Turner Votipka and Erik Meiler picked up an 8-4 win over Shenandoah’s Steven Baker and Wes Licklider. Guilford’s second doubles unit of Trevor Cox and Aaron Smedley claimed a narrow 8-6 win over the Hornets’ Zach O’Neal and Will Leach.
Votipka downed Baker at first singles, 6-2, 6-2, setting a trend of straight-set singles triumphs for the Quakers. Meiler took down Leach, 6-0, 6-2, at second singles and Cox stopped O’Neal at third singles, 6-1, 6-3. Mason Church, the fourth of Guilford’s four two-time winners, earned a 6-4, 6-0, decision over the Hornets’ Kelly Sykes.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers continue their weekend swing through northern Virginia with a 2:00 p.m. road contest at league-rival
Bridgewater College Sunday (3/23).
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Shenandoah
Mar 22, 2014 at Winchester, Va.
(Lowry Tennis Courts)
Guilford 9, Shenandoah 0
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Steven Baker (SU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Erik Meiler (GC) def. Will Leach (SU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Trevor Cox (GC) def. Zach O’Neal (SU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Mason Church (GC) def. Kelly Sykes (SU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Blake Brown (GC) def. Brett Holmes (SU) 6-4, 6-3
6. John Brvenik (GC) def. Wes Licklider (SU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Turner Votipka/Erik Meiler (GC) def. Steven Baker/Wes Licklider (SU) 8-4
2. Trevor Cox/Aaron Smedley (GC) def. Zach O’Neal/Will Leach (SU) 8-6
3. Levi Bruff/Mason Church (GC) def. Kelly Sykes/Brett Holmes (SU) 8-3
Guilford 4-6, 3-2 ODAC
Shenandoah 2-2, 0-2 ODAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles ()
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match