GREENSBORO, N.C. – Visiting Hampden-Sydney College pulled out three tight singles matches and a close doubles contest to prevail over Guilford College’s men’s tennis team Wednesday, 6-3, in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) match.
Thatcher Jennings and Mitchell Swann claimed a 9-8 (7-4) third-doubles win over Guilford’s Mason Church and Levi Bruff, which gave the Tigers a 2-1 edge after doubles play.
Guilford’s Turner Votipka and Aaron Smedley scored straight-set wins at first and fifth singles, respectively, and Hampden-Sydney’s Zack King topped Trevor Cox, 6-3, 6-3, which knotted the score at 3-3 with three matches remaining.
Two of the three remaining contests went the full three sets and the third was a tight 7-6, 6-4 triumph by Jennings over Church at fourth singles. Fitzhugh Johnson posted a 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 win at second singles over the Quakers’ Erik Meiler and Lawrence Bowers rallied past Guilford’s Bruff, 5-7, 6-4, 6-1, at sixth singles.
Guilford hits the road for a nonleague tilt Friday (3/28) at Bluefield College before visiting league-foe Randolph-Macon College Sunday (3/30) at 2:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Hampden-Sydney vs Guilford
Mar 26, 2014 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Hampden-Sydney 6, Guilford 3
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. J.B. Weaver (HSC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Fitzhugh Johnson (HSC) def. Erik Meiler (GC) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
3. Zack King (HSC) def. Trevor Cox (GC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Thacher Jennings (HSC) def. Mason Church (GC) 7-6, 6-4
5. Aaron Smedley (GC) def. Trent Singleton (HSC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lawrence Bowers (HSC) def. Levi Bruff (GC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
1. J.B. Weaver/Fitzhugh Johnson (HSC) def. Turner Votipka/Erik Meiler (GC) 8-4
2. Trevor Cox/Aaron Smedley (GC) def. Zack King/Trent Singleton (HSC) 8-3
3. Thacher Jennings/Mitchell Swann (HSC) def. Mason Church/Levi Bruff (GC) 9-8 (7-4)
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match