GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College won all three doubles matches and three singles contests in Saturday’s 6-3 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) women’s tennis win over Sweet Briar College (3-7, 1-3 ODAC).
The teams played in the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center due to rain.
The Quakers (5-6, 4-4 ODAC) opened with wins in all three doubles contests to take a 3-0 lead. Haley Andrews and Allison Hewitt claimed an 8-3 triumph over the Vixens’ Allie Raifsnider and Ashley Fletcher. Nora Prokosch and Madison Giles claimed the second-doubles contest, 8-4, over Caitin Delmas and Gina Rutledge. Guilford’s Mara Stern and Fernanda Gonzalez completed the sweep with an 8-0 win over Margaret Raymond and Sullivan.
While Sweet Briar’s Delmas and Glory Bowman won at first and second singles, respectively, in straight sets, Guilford clinched the match by taking three of the remaining four singles contests, including two three-set wins. Giles rallied for a 3-6, 6-1, 6-1 win over Raifsnider at third singles and Guilford’s Leah Meservey came back to down Georgia Kirkland at sixth singles, 5-7, 6-2, 6-4.
With Sunday’s (3/30) scheduled ODAC match at Randolph-Macon College postponed by impending rain, the Quakers’ next competition is set for April 5 at Salem College
Tennis Match Results
Sweet Briar vs Guilford
Mar 29, 2014 at Greensboro, NC
(Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center)
Guilford 6, Sweet Briar 3
1. Caitlin Delmas (SBC) def. Haley Andrews (GC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Glory Bowman (SBC) def. Allison Hewitt (GC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Madison Giles (GC) def. Allie Raifsnider (SBC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Fernanda Gonzalez (GC) def. Ashley Fletcher (SBC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Gina Rutledge (SBC) def. Nora Prokosch (GC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Leah Meservey (GC) def. Georgia Kirkland (SBC) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
1. Haley Andrews/Allison Hewitt (GC) def. Allie Raifsnider/Ashley Fletcher (SBC) 8-3
2. Nora Prokosch/Madison Giles (GC) def. Caitlin Delmas/Gina Rutledge (SBC) 8-4
3. Mara Stern/Fernanda Gonzalez (GC) def. Sullivan/Margaret Raymond (SBC) 8-0
Sweet Briar 3-7, 1-3 ODAC
Guilford 5-6, 4-4 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match