ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Football (1-4, 0-1 CAA)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Oct. 6, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Oct. 9, at 7 p.m., Fat Frogg Bar & Grill
Elon at Delaware, Saturday, Oct. 11, at 3:30 p.m., Newark, Del.
• Senior quarterback Mike Quinn moved in to fifth place on Elon’s all-time passing chart. Quinn has now thrown for 3,976 yards in his career.
• Each of Elon’s last two games were against a top-five opponent. It was the first time in the program’s NCAA Division I history that the maroon and gold had faced a top-five team in back-to-back weeks.
• Elon will play its first game north of Virginia since a September 2008 trip to Stony Brook when the Phoenix visits Delaware in a league game this weekend.
• The Phoenix Club will be sponsoring tailgates at each road CAA Football game this year. For more information on each tailgate, or to register for a tailgate, visit elonphoenix.com/caatailgates.
• Fans can preview this weekend’s tilt with against Delaware at either the Inside the Huddle Luncheon on Monday or at the Elon Football Live Radio Show on Thursday. The luncheon is held from noon until 1 p.m. at the Best Western Plus on Huffman Mill Road in Burlington and the cost to attend is $10 and includes a catered lunch by Grill 584. The radio show is broadcast live from the Fat Frogg Bar & Grill in Elon on Thursday from 7-8 p.m. and can be heard live on WPCM 95.1 FM and 920 AM, as well as at elonphoenix.com.
Men’s Soccer (4-4-2, 0-1 CAA)
Elon at William & Mary, Wednesday, Oct. 8, at 7 p.m., Williamsburg, Va.
Elon vs. Northeastern, Saturday, Oct. 11, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• The Phoenix has a pair of Colonial Athletic Association matches this week with a road game at William & Mary on Wednesday, Oct. 8, followed by hosting Northeastern on Saturday, Oct.11.
• Elon earned a 1-0 victory last Tuesday with a victory over Triad rival High Point. James Brace scored his fourth game-winning goal of the season in the match while the maroon and gold defense and goalkeeper Nathan Dean had their fifth shutout of the year.
• This is the second straight season that Elon faces both Northeastern and William & Mary on its schedule. Last year, the Phoenix drew a 1-1 draw against the Huskies in its season opener before hosting the Tribe at home.
Wake Forest Invitational, Oct. 10-12, Winston-Salem, N.C.
• Elon resumes its fall tournament schedule this weekend in Winston-Salem, N.C., for the Wake Forest Fall Invitational. Play begins Friday and wraps up on Sunday.
• In its last tournament, the Elon Fall Invitational, Chris Humphreys won his singles flight for the Phoenix.
• Elon’s final fall tournament is the ITA Carolina Regional, Oct. 16-19, in Cary, N.C.
Volleyball (5-14, 0-4 CAA)
Elon at UNCG, Tuesday, Oct. 7, at 7 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
Elon vs. UNC Wilmington, Saturday, Oct. 11, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon renews its rivalry with the Spartans on Tuesday in Greensboro as the former conference foes now face off in a non-conference contest. UNCG took the win in both matches last season, while the Phoenix is 12-9 all-time against the Spartans under head coach Mary Tendler.
• After Tuesday’s match, the maroon and gold resumes conference play for the remainder of the season, beginning with a match against UNC Wilmington on Saturday, which is the first of four straight home matches for Elon.
• The Phoenix and the Seahawks met last year in the Kristen Dickmann/Navy Invitational in Annapolis, Md. UNCW claimed the 3-0 victory en route to winning the tournament.
Women’s Soccer (4-8, 0-4 CAA)
Elon vs. Drexel, Friday, Oct. 10, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. Delaware, Sunday, Oct. 12, at 1 p.m., Rudd Field
• Elon wraps up its home slate this weekend with CAA matches against Drexel (Friday) and Delaware (Sunday).
• Sunday’s match against Delaware marks the final home game for seniors Kate Murphy, Marissa Russo, Raychel Diver, Bethany Houpt and Kim Gardner.
• Elon leads the CAA in corner kicks, totaling 87 on the year.