ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at NCAA Pre-Nationals, Saturday, Oct. 18, Terre Haute, Ind.
• Select members of the Phoenix men’s and women’s cross country teams will compete this weekend at the NCAA Pre-National meet in Terre Haute, Ind.
• Last time out, the Phoenix cross country programs competed at the 59th annual Notre Dame Invitational on Friday, Oct. 3. On the men’s side, Luis Vargas won his third consecutive race of the season with a time of 23:30.9 in the five-mile run while the women were led by senior Jenny Gallagher in the women’s three-mile race with a time of 16:54.8.
• The first-place finish at Notre Dame also earned Vargas his third Colonial Athletic Association Men’s Runner of the Week last Tuesday, Oct. 7. At last year’s Pre-National race, Vargas was the runner-up in the men’s 8K race, finishing between a pair of outdoor track and field All-Americans.
Football (1-5, 0-2 CAA)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Oct. 13, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Oct. 16, at 7 p.m., Fat Frogg Bar & Grill
Elon vs. Stony Brook, Saturday, Oct. 18, at 1:30 p.m., Rhodes Stadium (Homecoming)
• In Elon’s last game at Delaware, two Elon players found the end zone for the first time in their careers. Justin Osborne hauled in a five-yard touchdown reception and Tre Lennon caught TDs of 10 and 35 yards.
• Lennon caught seven balls for 95 yards against the Blue Hens. It marked the most receiving yards by a Phoenix rookie (freshman or red-shirt freshman) in a game since A.J. Harris had 106 yards in a 2008 victory over Samford.
• Elon returns home to take on Stony Brook in a CAA Football contest this Saturday. The university will hold its Homecoming activities in conjunction with the game. In 13 Homecoming games at Rhodes Stadium, Elon has gone 6-7.
• The maroon and gold is 2-0 all-time against the Seawolves, picking up a 38-23 victory in the 2007 meeting at Rhodes Stadium.
• Fans can preview this weekend’s tilt with against Stony Brook at either the Inside the Huddle Luncheon on Monday or at the Elon Football Live Radio Show on Thursday. The luncheon is held from noon until 1 p.m. at the Best Western Plus on Huffman Mill Road in Burlington and the cost to attend is $10 and includes a catered lunch by Grill 584. The radio show is broadcast live from the Fat Frogg Bar & Grill in Elon on Thursday from 7-8 p.m. and can be heard live on WPCM 95.1 FM and 920 AM, as well as at elonphoenix.com.
Elon at Maryland Terrapin Invitational, Monday – Tuesday, Oct. 13 – 14, Rockville, Md.
• The men’s golf squad will play its third of four fall events this week as it travels to the Maryland Terrapin Invitational which will be held at the Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, Md.
• The 12-team field includes just one fellow CAA foe – James Madison.
• In its last tournament, Elon placed in a tie for eighth out of 11 programs at the Rees Jones Invitational. The Phoenix was led by Will DiIanni,who tied for 23rd out of 63 participants with a score of 228 (73-74-81).
Men’s Soccer (5-4-3, 1-1-1 CAA)
Elon at UNC Wilmington, Wednesday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
Elon vs. Drexel, Saturday, Oct. 18, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• The men’s soccer team has a pair of CAA matches this week with a road game at UNC Wilmington on Wednesday before hosting defending league champion Drexel on Saturday at Rudd Field.
• Elon picked up its first victory as a member of its new league with a 5-0 thrashing of Northeastern on Saturday, Oct. 11. The five goals were the most the Phoenix has scored in a match since a 5-1 win over Georgia Southern last year in the quarterfinals of the Southern Conference Tournament.
• Senior goalkeeper Nathan Dean became the school’s all-time leader in shutouts on Saturday, notching his 23rd career clean sheet. The Liverpool, England, native broke the four-year record of former Elon and current Colorado Rapids keeper Clint Irwin (2007-10) with his seventh shutout of the year against Northeastern.
ITA Carolina Regional, Thursday – Sunday, Oct. 16 – 19, Cary, N.C.
• Elon closes its fall slate with the Carolina ITA Regional this weekend, Oct. 16-19, in Cary, N.C.
• The Phoenix is coming off a solid performance at the Wake Forest Invitational over the weekend. Dan Sablik had a solid showing for the maroon and gold in both singles and doubles.
Volleyball (5-16, 0-5 CAA)
Elon vs. Towson, Thursday, Oct. 16, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Delaware, Saturday, Oct. 18, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Sunday, Oct. 19, at 3 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon prepares itself for a busy schedule this week with three matches in four days all at home in Alumni Gym.
• While College of Charleston is a familiar opponent for the Phoenix, this is the first meeting with Delaware and only the second with Towson. The maroon and gold and the Tigers met in a tournament at Towson 10 years ago.
• The Cougars and the Phoenix played 14 times as members of the Southern Conference. Elon last won over CofC in 2006 in a 3-2 final.
Elon at Lady Pirate Intercollegiate, Monday – Tuesday, Oct. 13 – 14, Greenville, N.C.
• Elon’s women’s golf team will try for its third straight tournament victory when it plays in the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate hosted by East Carolina.
• The 18-team event will include two other CAA teams – James Madison and William & Mary.
• The Phoenix has won the team titles at each of its first two fall events – the W&M Invitational and the Forest Oaks Fall Classic.
• Emily Brooks led Elon at the Forest Oaks Fall Classic by placing sixth out of 96 players with a mark of 220 (75-70-75).
Women’s Soccer (5-9, 1-5 CAA)
Elon at William & Mary, Sunday, Oct. 19, at 1 p.m., Williamsburg, Va.
• Elon begins a three-match road swing to finish the CAA regular season on Sunday, Oct. 19, at William & Mary.
• Elon is coming off a 2-0 shutout at home versus Delaware on Senior Day.
• Goalie Kate Murphy tied a career-high mark with 11 saves against the Blue Hens on Oct. 12, as the senior from Sterling Va., earned her 14th career shutout in the victory.
ITA Carolina Regional, Thursday – Sunday, Oct. 16 – 19, Chapel Hill, N.C.
• Elon resumes its fall slate this weekend, Oct. 16-19, in Chapel Hill, N.C., with the Carolina ITA Regional.
• Elon is coming off a solid showing at the Wake Forest Invitational two weeks ago. Maria Camara Ruiz finished second overall in her singles bracket.