ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Friday, Oct. 24, at 8:30 p.m., Alumni Gym
• See the Elon men’s and women’s basketball teams for the first time this season on Friday, Oct. 24, at Late Night With the Phoenix. Fans will have the chance to win prizes throughout the night, including a pair of all-expenses paid trips to the CAA Basketball Championships.
Football (1-6, 0-3 CAA)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Oct. 20, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Oct. 23, at 7 p.m., Fat Frogg Bar & Grill
Elon vs. Stony Brook, Saturday, Oct. 25, at 3 p.m., Rhodes Stadium (Live Pink)
• In Saturday’s bout with Stony Brook, the Elon defense surrendered its fewest yards of the season. The Phoenix allowed the Seawolves to gain 262 total offensive yards.
• Elon has just two home games remaining on its 2014 slate, including this Saturday’s Live Pink game against the Richmond Spiders.
• The Phoenix is 0-4 all-time against Richmond, but the last two meetings have been decided by a combined nine points and have been memorable games. In 2009, Elon earned its first FCS playoff berth and came up just short in a 16-13 game. The following season, the maroon and gold opened Richmond’s Robbins Stadium with an overtime game that saw the ninth-ranked Spiders escape the Phoenix in a 27-21 contest.
• Fans can preview this weekend’s tilt with against Richmond at either the Inside the Huddle Luncheon on Monday or at the Elon Football Live Radio Show on Thursday. The luncheon is held from noon until 1 p.m. at the Best Western Plus on Huffman Mill Road in Burlington and the cost to attend is $10 and includes a catered lunch by Grill 584. The radio show is broadcast live from the Fat Frogg Bar & Grill in Elon on Thursday from 7-8 p.m. and can be heard live on WPCM 95.1 FM and 920 AM, as well as at elonphoenix.com.
Men’s Soccer (7-4-3, 3-1-1 CAA)
Elon vs. Duke, Tuesday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. James Madison, Sunday, Oct. 26, at 1 p.m., Rudd Field
• Elon hosts its final two regular-season matches at Rudd Field this week beginning with a non-conference slate against in-state rival and ACC foe Duke on Tuesday, Oct. 21. The Phoenix closes out its home schedule with a matchup against James Madison on Sunday, Oct. 26.
• Elon went undefeated last week with a pair of Colonial Athletic Association victories. The maroon and gold earned its first win of the year against a ranked opponent in a 2-1 triumph at #21 UNC Wilmington on Wednesday and defeated reigning CAA champion Drexel, 2-0, at home on Saturday.
• Strikers Jason Waterman and Chad Craig were keys in both wins for the Phoenix last week. Waterman scored the game-winning goal versus the Seahawks in the 84th minute and also had an assist in the contest. Craig netted his first career goal against the Dragons in the 41st minute on Saturday.
• After dropping its first-ever CAA match to Hofstra, the Phoenix has been unbeaten in its last four league matches and is on a season-high three game winning streak. Elon has also shutout three of those four opponents and has eight total clean sheets on the year, tying for the second most in a single season in school history.
Volleyball (5-19, 0-8 CAA)
Elon at Northeastern, Friday, Oct. 24, at 4 p.m., Boston
Elon at Hofstra, Sunday, Oct. 26, at 1 p.m., Hempstead, N.Y.
• The Phoenix finished a stretch of three matches in four days on Sunday. In those matches, Ally Karle played great for the maroon and gold finishing with 37 kills to hit .366 and average 3.70 kills per set. The sophomore tallied a season-high 17 kills against Towson and hit an impressive .421 against College of Charleston after 11 kills. She also averaged one block per set with 10 blocks on the week.
• Elon begins the second half portion of its conference schedule this week not that the Phoenix has faced every team in the league.
• The Phoenix plays Northeastern in Boston on Friday before visiting conference-leader Hofstra in New York on Sunday.
Elon at Palmetto Intercollegiate, Sunday – Tuesday, Oct. 26 – 28, Kiawah Island, S.C.
• The Elon women’s golf team will conclude its fall season at the Palmetto Intercollegiate hosted by CAA rival College of Charleston. The three-round event will begin on Sunday and run through Tuesday.
• The Phoenix has won two of its first three tournaments of the year.
• In its last outing, Elon placed 10th out of 18 programs at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate. Sunna Vidisdottir led the Phoenix with an 11-over par 227 to tie for 23rd.
Women’s Soccer (5-10, 1-6 CAA)
Elon at Towson, Friday, Oct. 24, at 2 p.m., Towson, Md.
Elon at James Madison, Sunday, Oct. 26, at 1 p.m., Harrisonburg, Va.
• Elon wraps up the regular season with road matches at Towson and James Madison.
• Rookie Grace Bennett scored over the weekend at William & Mary, her team-best third goal of the season.
• Senior Kate Murphy is now tied with former Elon goalie Lizz Johnson for second all-time in program history with 53 career starts.