ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at Three Stripe Invitational, Saturday, Nov. 8, Cary, N.C.
• Select members of the Elon cross country teams will compete at the Three Stripe Invitational, hosted by NC State, on Saturday, Nov. 8.
• Senior Luis Vargas captured the Colonial Athletic Association men’s cross country individual title last Saturday at the league’s championship in Boston. Vargas set a new school-record in the men’s 8K race with a time of 24:11.37. Vargas also became Elon’s first-ever champion in the CAA era.
• The Phoenix women’s team finished second at the league championships behind defending champion William & Mary. Elon had five members in the top-11 of the 6K race including top finisher Tereza Novotna who was fifth overall. Novotna set a new school-record with a time of 21:08.37, while fellow senior Jenny Gallagher was sixth overall with a time of 21:10.91.
Football (1-8, 0-5 CAA)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Nov. 3, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Nov. 6, at 7 p.m., Fat Frogg Bar & Grill
Elon at William & Mary, Saturday, Nov. 8, at 3:30 p.m., Williamsburg, Va. (Comcast SportsNet)
• Elon continues to be one of the least penalized teams in the nation this season. The Phoenix ranks first nationally in fewest penalty yards per game with 33.22.
• The Phoenix has been fairly successful on fourth down this year. Elon is converting fourth downs at a 57.9 percent clip, turning 11-of-19 fourth down attempts into first downs.
• With three games remaining, Elon has matched its interception total from a year ago as Adrian McClendon picked off the eighth pass of the year for the maroon and gold against Towson.
• Elon will hit the road again this weekend with a trip to Williamsburg, Va., to face the Tribe of William & Mary. It will be the first meeting between the two programs and will air on Comcast SportsNet.
• Fans can preview this weekend’s tilt with at William & Mary at either the Inside the Huddle Luncheon on Monday or at the Elon Football Live Radio Show on Thursday. The luncheon is held from noon until 1 p.m. at the Best Western Plus on Huffman Mill Road in Burlington and the cost to attend is $10 and includes a catered lunch by Grill 584. The radio show is broadcast live from the Fat Frogg Bar & Grill in Elon on Thursday from 7-8 p.m. and can be heard live on WPCM 95.1 FM and 920 AM, as well as at elonphoenix.com
Elon vs. Emory & Henry (exhibition), Friday, Nov. 7, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Prior to its regular season opener on Nov. 14, the Phoenix has its lone preseason tune up this Friday, Nov. 7, at 7 p.m. versus Emory & Henry.
• Elon enters its inaugural season in the Colonial Athletic Association this year. Last season, the CAA ended the year ranked 15th (out of 33) in the nation in conference RPI.
• The Phoenix returns 12 letter winners from last year’s squad that finished the year with an 18-14 record, including seniors Austin Hamilton, Ryan Winters and Tanner Samson.
Men’s Soccer (9-5-4)
CAA Men’s Soccer Championships
No. 4 Elon vs. No. 5 Northeastern, Saturday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• The Elon men’s soccer team opens postseason play in the CAA Men’s Soccer Championship as the fourth-seed with an opening round match against fifth-seed Northeastern on Saturday.
• Saturday’s match will be the second of the season against the Huskies at Elon. On Oct. 11, the Phoenix defeated Northeastern by a score of 5-0 with Nathan Dean becoming the Phoenix’s all-time career shutout leader in that contest.
• With a win, the Phoenix advances to the semifinals for a match against No. 1 seed and host Delaware next Friday, Nov. 14. The Phoenix fell to the Blue Hens on Sunday, Nov. 2, 2-1.
Volleyball (6-22, 1-11 CAA)
Elon at UNC Wilmington, Wednesday, Nov. 5, at 7 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
Elon at College of Charleston, Saturday, Nov. 8, at 5 p.m., Charleston, S.C.
• The Phoenix snapped its losing skid and claimed its first Colonial Athletic Association win on Friday with a 3-2 win over William & Mary. Elon nearly made it two straight but fell, 3-2, to James Madison in its final home match on Sunday.
Kayla Agae put together an impressive match against the Dukes on Sunday by posting a double-double with a match-high 22 kills, 10 digs and four blocks.
Against the Tribe, Morgan Maner tied an Elon Division I program record with eight service aces. The sophomore recorded four of those aces in a seven-point span.