GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College’s Turner Votipka earned a straight-sets victory over the 24th ranked individual in the NCAA Division III South Atlantic Region Poll as the Quakers collected a Sunday afternoon Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) victory over Bridgewater College, 6-3.
Votipka made quick work of 24th-regionally ranked Brandon Larson in the top-singles match, defeating him in straight sets, 6-3 and 6-0, to claim one of two 6-0 set victories by the Quakers (4-3, 3-1 ODAC) in singles action. Aaron Smedley claimed a straight-sets victory over Bridgewater’s Thomas Rishcoff in dramatic fashion winning the first set, 7-6, after winning a 7-4 tie-breaker. A tie-breaker was needed in set two as well with Smedley claimed the 7-6 second-set win thanks to a 7-3 tie-breaker.
The Eagles forced pressure on the Quakers early, claiming two doubles wins Christian Lynn and Kyle Hartfield defeated Votipka and Eric Meiler in the top-doubles match, 8-3. Levi Bruff and Mason Chruch claimed the Quakers’ doubles victory in the third-doubles match over Aaron Snook and Cameron Rhoney, 8-1.
The Quakers return to action next Sunday, traveling to Roanoke College for a 1 p.m. ODAC contest.
Tennis Match Results
Bridgewater (Va.) vs Guilford
Mar 15, 2015 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Guilford 6, Bridgewater (Va.) 3
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Brandon Larsen (BC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Kyle Hartfield (BC) def. Trevor Cox (GC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Erik Meiler (GC) def. Christian Lynn (BC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Aaron Smedley (GC) def. Thomas Rishcoff (BC) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-3)
5. Mason Church (GC) def. Cameron Rhoney (BC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Levi Bruff (GC) def. Aaron Snook (BC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Christian Lynn/Kyle Hartfield (BC) def. Turner Votipka/Erik Meiler (GC) 8-3
2. Brandon Larsen/Thomas Rishcoff (BC) def. Aaron Smedley/Trevor Cox (GC) 8-6
3. Levi Bruff/Mason Church (GC) def. Aaron Snook/Cameron Rhoney (BC) 8-1
Bridgewater (Va.) 1-4, 0-1 ODAC
Guilford 4-3, 3-1 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match