ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon vs. Maryland, Tuesday – Wednesday, March 17 – 18 at 4 p.m./4 p.m., Latham Park
Elon vs. James Madison, Friday – Sunday, March 20 – 22 at 6 p.m./4 p.m./1:30 p.m., Latham Park
• Elon will wrap up an eight-game home stand by playing host to Maryland for two mid-week games and beginning Colonial Athletic Association play against James Madison this weekend.
• Maryland, which has been ranked among the top-25 teams in the nation all season, has played four prior series at Latham Park. The Terps last visited Elon in 2001 as the Phoenix swept a three-game set. Elon is 6-6 all time against Maryland.
• After 11 seasons as one of the most dominant programs in the Southern Conference, Elon shifts its league membership to the CAA this year. The Phoenix will open up league play with a three-game home set with James Madison this weekend. The two have played just two games prior to this year. Each team won once in 1977.
Elon at Blue Devil Spring Shootout, Sunday, March 22, Durham, N.C.
• Elon will play in the one-day Blue Devil Spring Shootout hosted by Duke University at the Duke University Golf Club on Sunday.
• The Phoenix has played in two spring tournaments this season.
• Jake Leavitt led the maroon and gold at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Invitational, placing 42nd out of 90 players with a 216 (73-69-74).
Men’s Tennis (5-9)
Elon vs. James Madison, Saturday, March 21, at 3 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• Elon played three matches in four days last week, cruising to a 6-1 win against Longwood on March 12 and falling short in a 4-3 loss to George Washington on March 15. Elon’s match against Winthrop on March 14 was cancelled due to rain midway through the first set of singles play.
• Robert Lindgren earned Elon’s first singles honor of the season March 11, as the junior was named Colonial Athletic Association Player of the Week. Lindgren has won three of his last four singles matches.
• Elon will play against CAA opponent James Madison on Saturday, March 21, when the Phoenix hosts the Dukes at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
Elon vs. Rider (DH), Tuesday, March 17, 4/6 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
Elon vs. East Carolina, Wednesday, March 18, 6 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
Elon at College of Charleston, Saturday-Sunday, March 21-22, Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
• Elon won two out of its three games last week, including a 6-2 victory at I-40 rival UNCG on Sunday, March 15. The win was the Phoenix’s first true road victory of the season and snapped a five-game losing skid to its long-time rival.
• The Phoenix hosts Rider and East Carolina in a pair of early-week games before opening its Colonial Athletic Association era at former conference foe College of Charleston this weekend.
• Elon and CofC will meet for the first time since 2013 when the two programs were still members of the Southern Conference. Elon pulled out a 5-4 victory over the Cougars in Mt. Pleasant in the series finale.
• Freshman Kiandra Mitchum was tabbed as the CAA Rookie of the Week on Wednesday, March 11. It was the second league weekly honor for the Mechanicsville, Va., native this year along with her Pitcher of the Week honor earlier in the year.
Elon at MSU Ocala Spring Invitational, Sunday – Tuesday, March 22 – 24, Ocala, Fla.
• The women’s golf team will play its third spring event by traveling to Ocala, Fla., for the MSU Ocala Spring Invitational hosted by Morehead State University.
• In its last tournament, the Phoenix placed sixth out of 40 teams at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Spring Classic. Elon was led by Sunna Vidisdottir who tied for third with an even-par 216 (71-76-69).
Women’s Lacrosse (5-3)
Elon vs. Davidson, Saturday, March 21, at 2 p.m., Rhodes Stadium
• Elon claimed a 16-10 victory over two-time defending Big South champion High Point on Wednesday. The Phoenix was led by five goals and one assist from freshman Stephanie Asher, while Abby Godfrey and Nicole Sinacori each netted three goals in the win.
• Last week, freshman Kelsey Dupere was named the CAA Rookie of the Week after scoring four goals in Elon’s 11-6 win over Coastal Carolina on March 6.
• Elon plays its next game on Saturday against Davidson in Rhodes Stadium. The Wildcats won the first meeting last season, 15-8, in Davidson, N.C.
Women’s Tennis (7-5)
Elon vs. East Carolina, Wednesday, March 18, at 2:30 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon vs. James Madison, Saturday, March 21, at 11 a.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• Elon remains at home for two matches this week against ECU (March 18) and James Madison (March 21).
• Elon picked up wins in two matches last week, a 5-2 decision over George Washington on March 15 after a 6-1 road victory at UNCW on March 12. Elon has won six of its last seven matches.
• Taylor Casey has the team’s longest winning streak in singles action, as the junior has reeled off five straight en route to a 6-2 record this season. Casey and Erica Braschi have an unblemished doubles record of 6-0 this season. Senior Barbora Lazarova leads the Phoenix with seven singles wins this year.