ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Baseball (14-16, 6-3 CAA)
Elon vs. NC State, Tuesday, April 7, at 6:30 p.m., Latham Park
Elon at College of Charleston, Friday – Sunday, April 10 – 12, at 6 / 3 / 1 p.m., Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
• Elon won its second CAA series of the year by taking two of the three games against Northeastern over the weekend.
• Senior Chris King belted his second grand slam of the year, and fourth of his career, in Friday’s 6-2 win over the Huskies.
• In nine league games, the Elon pitching staff has posted a 2.44 ERA and held opponent to a .213 batting average.
• This week, the Phoenix will conclude its home-and-home set with NC State before heading to South Carolina for a three-game league series against CAA leader College of Charleston.
Elon at Gary Koch Invitational, Monday – Tuesday, April 6 – 7, Gastonia, N.C.
• Elon will make the short trek down to Gastonia, N.C., for the Gary Koch Invitational hosted by the University of Kentucky this week.
• This week’s field will include 14 teams, including fellow CAA member UNCW.
• In its last event, the Phoenix tied for ninth at the Seahawk Intercollegiate. The maroon and gold was led by Troy Beaver who tied for ninth individually with a three-round score of 222.
Men’s Tennis (8-11)
Elon vs. UNCG, Wednesday, April 8, at 2 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
Elon vs. East Carolina, Saturday, April 11, at 1 p.m., Greenville, N.C.
• The Phoenix went 1-1 last week and stands at 8-11 on the season after picking up a 4-3 win at Davidson April 2 and falling to Charlotte on Senior Day on April 4, 5-2.
• A trio of seniors – Jordan Kaufman, Stefan Fortmann and Brian Kowalski – won singles matches at Davidson to clinch the win and was honored alongside fellow seniors Chris Geaslen, Dan Sablik and Juan Madrid prior to the Charlotte match.
• Jordan Kaufman was named Colonial Athletic Association Player of the Week on March 31 for his performances against College of Charleston and USC Upstate on March 24 and 25, respectively.
• Elon hits the road for its final two matches before the CAA tournament. The Phoenix makes the short trip to Greensboro to take on the Spartans on April 8 and then heads east to face East Carolina on April 11.
Softball (23-12, 5-4 CAA)
Elon at Appalachian State (DH), Wednesday, April 8, at 4/6 p.m., Boone, N.C.
Elon vs. Delaware, Saturday-Sunday, April 11-12, at 1/3/1 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
• Elon travels to former conference foe Appalachian State for a twin bill on Wednesday, April 8, before hosting Delaware over the weekend in its second-ever Colonial Athletic Association series at home.
• Freshman Kara Shutt was selected as the CAA Player of the Week on Monday, March 30. It was the first career weekly CAA honor for Shutt after the Greensboro, N.C., native helped the maroon and gold to a 4-1 week in which she batted .500 (7-for-14) while scoring eight runs and drove in seven.
• Senior Chelsea White picked up her third save of the year on Saturday, April 4, against Towson. That mark places her with a tie with teammate Caitlin O’Shea for the second-most saves in a single-season in program history.
• Head coach Kathy Bocock tallied her 92nd career win on Saturday as the head coach of the Phoenix, needing only eight more wins to become the third coach in school history with 100 victories in the fast pitch era.
Women’s Lacrosse (7-5, 0-2)
Elon at James Madison, Friday, April 10, at 7 p.m., Harrisonburg, Va.
Elon vs. William & Mary, Sunday, April 12, at 1 p.m., Rhodes Stadium
• The Phoenix opened Colonial Athletic Association play last week at Towson and Delaware, suffering setbacks in both games. Elon trailed by as much as six against the Blue Hens and was able to pull within two before the comeback attempt ultimately fell short.
• Nicole Sinacori led the maroon and gold on the week with five points after four goals and one assist and netted a goal on every shot she took. Rachel Ramirez posted a 53.5 save percentage after nine saves at Towson and a season-high 14 saves at Delaware.
• Elon plays its final CAA road contest on Friday at James Madison before playing the first of three final home games against William & Mary on Sunday in Rhodes Stadium.
Women’s Tennis (12-6)
Elon vs. Davidson, Tuesday, April 7, at 2:30 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Friday, April 10, at 2:30 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon vs. N.C. Central, Saturday, April 11, at 12 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• Elon closes the regular season with three straight home matches this week. The Phoenix hosts Davidson on Tuesday before welcoming College of Charleston and North Carolina Central to the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Friday and Saturday.
• Elon has won seven of its last eight matches heading into this week. The Phoenix has a 7-1 mark at home this season.
• Saturday marks the final home match for seniors Barbora Lazarova and Maria Camara Ruiz.
• The doubles team of Erica Braschi and Taylor Casey enters this week on a four-match winning streak and sits at 10-1 on the year.