HPU Men’s Lax Falls To Richmond 20-9

• Junior Matt Thistle led the Panthers’ attack with four goals and an assist on the day.
• Sophomore Michael LeClair scored two goals and dished out an assist in a three-point performance.
• High Point will be back in action on Friday night at 7 p.m. in Lexington, Va. against VMI.

HIGH POINT, N.C. – The High Point University men’s lacrosse team fell 20-9 to Richmond on Saturday in Vert Stadium.

The Panthers (6-6, 2-2) got on the board first to take a 1-0 lead three minutes into the game. However, the Spiders (8-4, 4-0) responded with a 4-0 run to gain control en route to the victory.

“All credit goes to Richmond and its coaching staff,” head coach Jon Torpey said. “Quite simply, from the beginning to the end they were the better team in every facet of the game today. I’m looking forward to see the way our guys respond to this effort as we move on in this season.”

Junior Matt Thistle led HPU’s offense with four goals and one assist while sophomore Michael LeClair added two goals and an assist. Meanwhile, junior Dan Lomas chipped in with two goals and senior Hunter Edens scored his second goal of the year.

Richmond controlled possession, going 17-of-27 (.630) in the face-off circle and earned a +2 margin (30-28) in ground balls. The Spiders’ offense got four goals from J.P. Forester and Dan Ginestro to pace their attack.

Defensively, redshirt-junior Richard Byrd and junior Zack Price each caused two turnovers. In the goal, redshirt-senior Austin Geisler made 12 saves in 50:40 at goal. Junior Adam Seal and sophomore Tanner Landstra each racked up four ground balls to lead the Purple & White.

The Panthers opened the scoring as LeClair found the back of the net off an assist from freshman T Moyer with 12:05 on the clock. However, Richmond came right back and finished the quarter on a 3-0 run to build a 3-1 lead through the first quarter.

The Spiders’ lead swelled to five as they scored three goals in the first 3:06 of the second quarter. HPU stopped the run when LeClair posted his second goal of the game on an assist from Thistle (6-2, 6:43). Thistle, then, added a goal a minute later to cut the deficit to three 6-3 with 5:19 until the half.

After halftime, Ginestro scored two goals in the first two minutes to allow Richmond to regain its five-goal advantage (8-3, 12:56). J.P. Forester and Alex Hatem added two more scores to build the Spiders’ lead to 10-3 with 9:12 left in the third quarter.

Lomas stopped the run with a goal to make it 10-4 with 8:42 left in the quarter, but Richmond came right back as Forester scored to make it 11-4 (6:56, 3rd).

After that, Thistle brought the Panthers back within six (11-5) with a goal with 2:56 left in the third stanza. But once again, Forester answered making it 12-5 as the game moved into the final quarter.

The Spiders expanded their advantage with a 4-0 run to open the fourth frame before Thistle scored his fourth goal to make it 16-7 (8:25, 4th). From there, Richmond went on another 4-0 run that was stopped by Lomas’ second goal to make it 20-8 before Edens scored to provide the 20-9 final score.

The Purple & White will be back on the road for a rare Friday night contest against VMI at 7 p.m. in Lexington, Va.