LYNCHBURG, Va. – Host Randolph College claimed a 7-2 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) women’s tennis win over visiting Guilford College Saturday.
The WildCats improved to 7-3 (4-1 ODAC) with their seventh win in eight matches. Guilford dropped to 6-6 (3-5 ODAC).
Randolph won all three doubles tilts to take a 3-0 lead. Dina Velazco and Jenna Sweet pulled out an 8-5 win over the Quakers’ Haley Andrews and Allison Hewitt at the first-doubles flight. Sarah Parker and Heather Parra downed Guilford’s Fernanda Gonzalez and Nora Prokosch, 8-2, and the WildCats’ Tiandre Forde and Danielle Lewis defeated Guilford’s Luci Gordon and Chandler MacDonald, 8-4.
Guilford’s Andrews knocked off Velazco at the first-singles bout, 6-4, 6-2, but Randolph won four of the remaining five singles matches to seal the win. Parker, Sweet and Parra claimed straight-set triumphs at second, third and fourth singles, respectively. Forde downed MacDonald, 6-1, 6-0, at sixth singles.
Guilford’s Gordon defeated Lewis, 6-1, 6-1, to account for the Quakers’ second point.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers host Hollins University Sunday (4/12) in a match suspended earlier in the season by bad weather. The contest begins at Guilford McMichael Centennial Class Courts at 11:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Randolph
Apr 11, 2015 at Lynchburg, VA
Randolph 7, Guilford 2
1. Haley Andrews (GC) def. Dina Velazco (RAND) 6-4, 6-2
2. Sarah Parker (RAND) def. Allison Hewitt (GC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jenna Sweet (RAND) def. Fernanda Gonzalez (GC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Heather Parra (RAND) def. Nora Prokosch (GC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Luci Gordon (GC) def. Danielle Lewis (RAND) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tiandre Forde (RAND) def. Chandler MacDonald (GC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Dina Velazco/Jenna Sweet (RAND) def. Haley Andrews/Allison Hewitt (GC) 8-5
2. Sarah Parker/Heather Parra (RAND) def. Nora Prokosch/Fernanda Gonzalez (GC) 8-2
3. Tiandre Forde/Danielle Lewis (RAND) def. Luci Gordon/Chandler MacDonald (GC) 8-4
Guilford 6-6, 3-5 ODAC
Randolph 7-3, 4-1 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match