ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Baseball (22-20, 11-7 CAA)
Elon at Davidson, Tuesday, April 28, at 6 p.m., Davidson, N.C.
Elon at Hofstra, Friday – Sunday, May 1 – 3, at 3/1/1 p.m., Hempstead, N.Y.
• Elon went 4-1 last week, including taking two games from #22 UNCW over the weekend.
• In Friday’s 14-3 win over UNCW, James Venuto set a new Elon Division I freshman record by hitting his seventh home run of the season.
• By winning two against the Seahawks, Elon won a series against a top-25 team for the first time since sweeping a two-game, midweek set at #5 Clemson in March of 2010.
• In two CAA starts, sophomore Nick Beaulac, who was named the CAA Rookie of the Week last week, is 2-0 and has struck out 17 hitters in 12.0 innings of work. He has allowed just for runs, three earned, in those two victories.
• The Phoenix will play four games on the road this week. Elon will start the week looking for a season series sweep of Davidson before making its first-ever trip to Hofstra to battle the Pride in a CAA set.
Softball (26-20, 8-10 CAA)
Elon vs. North Carolina A&T, Tuesday, April 28, at 6 p.m., at Hunt Softball Park
Elon vs. UNCW, Friday – Saturday, May 1 – 2, 5/7/1 p.m., at Hunt Softball Park
• Elon wraps up its regular-season this week with its final non-conference game versus local rival North Carolina A&T on Tuesday, April 28. The Phoenix then closes out its inaugural Colonial Athletic Association slate with a series versus UNCW on Friday with a doubleheader on Friday and its finale on Saturday.
• The Phoenix will look to clinch a spot in the CAA Championship tournament scheduled for May 6-9 in Harrisonburg, Va. Elon currently sits in the fourth and final spot in the for the league tournament going into its series versus UNCW.
• Saturday will be Senior Day as the maroon and gold will honor is six-person class of Eve Clausen, Grace Eng, Sarah Little, Caitlin O’Shea, Aly Quintana and Chelsea White. All six have been starters and team-leaders throughout their careers while combining for 95 wins overall as a class.
Women’s Track & Field
Elon at CAA Outdoor Championships, Friday – Saturday, May 1 – 2, Williamsburg, Va.
• The Phoenix travels to William & Mary for its first-ever Colonial Athletic Association Outdoor Championship meet beginning on Friday, May 1.
• Elon last competed at its first home meet in nearly 10 years, the Phoenix Invitational, on April 18, at the Jerry and Jeanne Robertson Track and Field Complex.
• The maroon and gold won nine events at its home meet, the Phoenix Invitational, and saw a few of its athletes set a number of personal and school records. Simone Jackson tied her school-record in the 100-meters with a time of 12.07 at the meet.
• Heading into the CAA championships, certain members of the Phoenix holds the top marks and times in a few events on the league’s outdoor performance list with Emily Dixon (heptathlon), Bre’anna Warren (discus), Sydney Griffin (100-meter hurdles) and Kimberly Johansen (1,500-meters). Dixon and Johansen also have earned the league’s weekly accolade this season.