VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team ended Saturday with a 5-1 loss to Virginia Wesleyan College in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Tournament semifinals.
The second-seeded Marlins (14-4) advance to Sunday’s final versus top-seeded Washington and Lee University, 5-0 winners over fifth-seeded Bridgewater College in Saturday’s other semifinal. Guilford finishes with an 11-5 overall record.
The Marlins captured two of the three doubles points with wins in the second and third flights. Tyler Chang and Kenneth Downing defeated Guilford’s Trevor Cox and Aaron Smedley at second doubles, 8-2, and the Marlins’ Brendan Kelleher and Drew Tomajczyk dropped only one point in a win over Guilford’s Levi Bruff and Mason Church.
The Quakers’ posted their lone point of the match at first doubles where Erik Meiler and Turner Votipka edged Virginia Wesleyan’s Graham Wilson and Adam Rosemblaum, 8-6.
The match was decided after the first two singles decisions. Rosenblaum scored a 6-1, 6-2, win over Church at fifth singles and Kelleher topped Bruff, 6-3, 6-3, at sixth singles. The remaining singles contests were not completed.
Saturday’s setback marked the third straight season Virginia Wesleyan ended the Quakers’ season in the ODAC Tournament. Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers also reached the ODAC Tournament semifinals in 2014 and 2012.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Virginia Wesleyan
May 02, 2015 at Virginia Beach, VA
(Everett Tennis Center)
Virginia Wesleyan 5, Guilford 1
1. Graham Wilson (VWC) vs. Turner Votipka (GC) 6-3, unfinished
2. Kenneth Downing (VWC) def. Trevor Cox (GC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Spenser Bullock (VWC) vs. Erik Meiler (GC) 6-4, unfinished
4. Drew Tomajczyk (VWC) vs. Aaron Smedley (GC) 6-1, unfinished
5. Adam Rosemblaum (VWC) def. Mason Church (GC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Brendan Kelleher (VWC) def. Levi Bruff (GC) 6-3, 6-3
1. Erik Meiler/Turner Votipka (GC) def. Graham Wilson/Adam Rosemblaum (VWC) 8-6
2. Tyler Chang/Kenneth Downing (VWC) def. Trevor Cox/Aaron Smedley (GC) 8-2
3. Brendan Kelleher/Drew Tomajczyk (VWC) def. Levi Bruff/Mason Church (GC) 8-1
Virginia Wesleyan 14-4
Old Dominion Athletic Conference semifinals