DAVIDSON, N.C. – Kendall Ballotti scored off a corner kick early in the first overtime period with a sliding finish in the 93rd minute as the Elon University women’s soccer team grabbed a 1-0 victory at Davidson on Sunday, Aug. 23 at Alumni Soccer Stadium to open the 2015 season.
“I am really proud of the spirit and energy of the entire team today,” said Elon head coach Chris Neal. “Two road games on opening weekend is a stiff challenge and Davidson are very hard to beat at home. It’s still very early and I think our team has much that we can improve on, so that is very exciting.”
There wasn’t much action in the first half of regulation as the match was scoreless heading into the break. Both teams had three shots in the first but none were on frame.
The Phoenix (1-0) increased the intensity and tempo to start the second half creating several scoring opportunities. Two shots in the 57th minute from Susannah Anderson and Lauren McKeever were blocked and saved respectively. The Wildcats (0-2) would take the momentum right back with several chances in the run of play over the next several minutes, but couldn’t capitalize on any of them sending the match into overtime.
It wasn’t long in the first half of overtime that Elon scored the game-winner. After the Phoenix won a corner, Amanda Lasater’s ball found a sliding Ballotti on the back post for the finish in the 93rd minute, earning Elon their first win of the 2015 season.
– The match was Elon’s first of the 2015 season. The scheduled match against Charleston Southern on Friday, Aug. 21, was cancelled after halftime due to lightning. The Phoenix were leading 1-0 at the half, but the score didn’t count.
– The Phoenix are now undefeated in their last five season-openers and have won the last three dating back to a 2-0 win over Coastal Carolina in 2013.
– Elon hasn’t lost a season-opener since Aug. 20, 2010 when they lost to No. 15 Virginia Tech at Rudd Field.
– The goal was Ballotti’s second of her career. She scored her first-career goal last season on Sept. 14, 2014 against Francis Marion.
– The corner kick assist from Lasater was her first assist as an Elon Phoenix.
– Elon defeated Davidson despite being outsot 9-8 and outcornered 4-2. The Phoenix had the edge of 2-1 with shots on frame.
Elon continues the season next weekend with another pair of road trips. On Friday, Aug. 27, they will travel to Raleigh to take on the NC State Wolfpack for a 7 p.m. match. The Phoenix will then hit the road on Sunday, Aug. 29 to face Chattanooga at 1 p.m.