ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
John Rennie/Nike Invitational
Elon vs. DePaul, Friday, Aug. 28, at 5 p.m., Durham, N.C.
Elon vs. Saint Mary’s, Aug. 30, at 12 p.m., Durham, N.C.
• The Phoenix opens its 2015 regular-season at the John Rennie/Nike Invitational hosted by Duke for the third straight season. Elon has posted a 2-1-1 ledger at the tournament the last two years.
• The Phoenix earned a 3-2 victory in its final exhibition match at in-state rival and Atlantic Coast Conference foe NC State last Thursday, Aug. 20. Elon scored a pair of goals in the final eight minutes of the match, including Elijah Agu’s game-winner in the 85th minute.
• Elon head coach Chris Little begins his second season at the helm of the men’s soccer program. Little guided the Phoenix to a 9-6-4 record last year and a 4-2-2 mark in the maroon and gold’s inaugural year in the Colonial Athletic Association.
• Elon has seven starters and 17 letter winners returning, including All-CAA picks in seniors Miguel Salazar (first team), James Brace (second team) and Nathan Diehl (second team). Elon also welcomes nine players who are in their first year in the program. Salazar, Brace and Diehl were also tabbed to the league’s 2015 Preseason Team.
Radford University/Virginia Tech Invitational
Elon vs. Washington State, Friday, Aug 28, at 7 p.m., Radford, Va.
Elon at Virginia Tech, Saturday, Aug. 29, at 12 p.m., Blacksburg, Va.
Elon at Radford, Saturday, Aug. 29, at 7 p.m., Radford, Va.
• The Phoenix begins its 2015 campaign on Friday when it takes on Washington State in a tournament cohosted by Virginia Tech and Radford. Elon faces both the Hokies and the Highlanders, respectively, on Saturday.
• Sophomore outside hitter Sydney Busa was named a Preseason All-CAA Honorable Mention selection by the league’s head coaches last week and is one of nine returners from last season. The Phoenix also welcomes six newcomers, including five freshmen, to the squad.
• This season marks the 13th under head coach Mary Tendler and the 43rd overall year for the program.
Women’s Soccer (1-0)
Elon at NC State, Thursday, Aug. 27, at 7 p.m., Raleigh, N.C.
Elon at Chattanooga, Sunday, Aug. 30, at 1 p.m., Chattanooga, Tenn.
• Kendall Ballotti’s goal in the 93rd minute earned Elon a 1-0 overtime victory at Davidson on Sunday to open the 2015 season after the scheduled season-opening match against Charleston Southern on Friday was cancelled after halftime due to lightning.
• The Phoenix is now undefeated in its last five season-openers and has won the last three dating back to a 2-0 win over Coastal Carolina in 2013.
• Elon returns 22 players and seven starters from a team that experienced their first season in the CAA last year. Neal also added 10 freshmen to the fold in his 2015 recruiting class.
• The Phoenix continues the non-conference portion of their schedule with road trips to NC State on Thursday and Chattanooga on Sunday.