BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. – Late in the second half of overtime, Samantha Burch smashed the game-winning volley into the top right corner in the 106th minute as the Elon University women’s soccer team defeated Gardner-Webb 2-1 on Friday, Sept. 18, at Greene-Harbison Stadium.
Elon (6-1-1) and Gardner-Webb (3-4-2) each played a tight first half with a few opportunities. The Phoenix held the slight 6-5 edge in the shot count, but Elon would be the first to strike.
Tori Baliatico got Elon on the board in the 32nd minute, tapping in a Sydney Schilling pass from the left side of the box. Her finish inside the six-yard box gave the Phoenix a 1-0 lead. The goal was Baliatico’s third of her freshman campaign and was the only goal of the half, as Elon held a 1-0 lead into the half.
In the second half, Gardner-Webb would equalize the match 1-1 in the 57th minute. Taylor Mohr was unable to parry away a strong shot from Shelby Hooe and the ball found its way into the net. The goal would send the match to overtime as neither team could find a winner in regulation.
Elon applied a lot of pressure during overtime, outshooting the Runnin’ Bulldogs 5-1 during the extra time. Both teams couldn’t find a goal in the first 10 minutes, and a second overtime had to be played.
With just over four minutes remaining in the match, Burch lined up a bouncing ball from Grace Bennett and smashed a one-time volley into the top right corner of the net in the 106th minute. The golden goal sealed Elon’s 2-1 victory against Gardner-Webb.
– The Phoenix outshot the Runnin’ Bulldogs 13-11 in the match, including 5-1 in the two overtime periods.
– Elon is currently on a six-game unbeaten streak and have only given up two goals in that span since their 2-0 loss at NC State on Aug. 27.
– This season, Elon is currently outscoring its opponents 13-4 this season and are holding its opponents to a 0.50 goals per game average.
– Baliatico is now the leading goal scorer for the Phoenix with three this season. Four players are right behind her with two goals each.
– Mohr improves her record to 4-0-1 overall record this season. Opponents have only scored twice on her this season.
Elon returns to Rudd Field for Hispanic Heritage Night on Sunday, Sept. 20, against the Charlotte 49ers at 6 p.m. The Hispanic Heritage Night will begin at 5 p.m. For more information on the event, click here for details.