ELON, N.C. – Sydney Schilling and Mariah Marrero scored their first goals of the season and Samantha Burch added two more to the scoresheet as the Elon University women’s soccer team defeated the visiting Charlotte 49ers on Sunday, Sept. 20, on Hispanic Heritage Night at Rudd Field.
Elon improves its record to 7-1-1 overall this season, the best start for the program in the Division I era. The previous-best record for the Phoenix was in 2013 when the team started 6-1-2 to start the year. Charlotte falls to 4-5-0 with the loss.
“We really want to thank our fans,” said Burch about the atmosphere on Hispanic Heritage Night. “So many people were out here tonight to support us and we loved the [Spanish] announcements. We really felt that Elon spirit tonight and we really appreciate that.”
Schilling gave the Phoenix a 1-0 lead with six minutes left in the first half, her first goal of the season. The sophomore settled the ball in the box and ripped a shot past Charlotte goalkeeper Abby Coffey, who deflected the ball before it rolled into the right corner of the net.
Marrero also netted her first goal of the season, a strike assisted by Schilling in the 77th minute to stretch Elon’s advantage to 3-0.
Samantha Burch netted her third goal of the season in the 49th minute to make it 2-0, and added another on a penalty kick in the closing minutes to make it a 4-2 game.
Charlotte scored two goals in the final 10 minutes to cut into Elon’s lead before Burch added her second tally for the Phoenix. Martha Thomas scored both goals for the 49ers, one off a pass from Maddie Kiebel and another on a free kick from 18 yards out that cut Elon’s lead to 3-2.
Charlotte controlled play early, recording the first four shots of the game. Taylor Mohr denied a scoring chance by the 49ers’ Emily Truelove to keep the game scoreless 28 minutes in, her lone save of the first half.
Elon attempted just 10 shots to Charlotte’s 18, but was efficient in finding the back of the net on four of those attempts.
– Elon’s 7-1-1 start to the 2015 season is the best start for the program in the Division I era. The previous best record in the first nine games was a 6-1-2 start in 2013. The Phoenix had 6 wins in 2009 and 2010, starting those seasons with a 6-2-1 record in the first nine games.
– The team’s four goals is the team’s second-highest goal-scoring performance since a 5-0 win at South Carolina State on Sept. 6.
– Mohr improves her record to 5-0-1 overall record this season.
– Despite losing the game, Charlotte out-shot Elon 18-10 in the match, however Elon was more efficient with seven of their 10 total shots on goal.
– With her two goals in the match, Burch is now Elon’s leading goal-scorer with four on the season.
Elon opens CAA play next Friday, Sept. 25, against Northeastern at faces Hofstra on Sunday, Sept. 27, at 1 p.m. Both matches will be played at Rudd Field.