Greensboro College Men’s Soccer Plays to 3-3 Draw Against Methodist

Men’s Soccer Plays to 3-3 Draw Against Methodist
(Courtesy of Wes Gullett Greensboro College SID)

FAYETTEVILLE, NC – The Greensboro College men’s soccer team traveled to take on the Monarchs of Methodist University on Sunday afternoon. Greensboro faced a two goal deficit late in the second half, but was able to rally back to a 3-3 draw.

Shaun Watt got Greensboro on the board early. In the 16th minute of play, Watt was able to place a header past the Monarch keeper off an assist by Morgan Stevenson to give the Pride a 1-0 lead.

Later in the half, Methodist was able to even up the score 1-1 in 29th minute for the half’s final goal.

With the game tied 1-1, the Monarchs jumped on top 2-1 with a goal in the 50th minute of play before finding another goal seven minutes later to extend their advantage to 3-1.

However, Greensboro did not back down. In the 67th minute of play, freshman Carlos Barragan was able to strike for his first collegiate goal to cut the deficit to 3-2.

As time continued to run down, Shawn Watt struck for his second goal of the day to knot the score up at 3-3. This time, Robbie Barnes recorded the assist.

After the regulation time ran out, the two teams played twenty more minutes with neither team recording a goal to end the game in a 3-3 draw.

“The boys showed great character to come back in a tightly fought match that went end to end,” stated Head Coach Tony Falvino following the game. ” I’m happy with the guys response and spirit to fight to the end.”

Barragan led the way in the match with five shots while Watt recorded four of his own. Craig Gage also tallied two shots.

Jamie Payamps finished the game with two saves for the Pride while the Monarchs Alex Rabone recorded four.

The Pride men’s soccer team will return to action on Wednesday night against the Knights of Southern Virginia. The game is set to get underway at 6:30 PM in Buena Vista, Virginia. For the latest on the Pride men’s soccer team, continue to follow