ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Football (2-3, 1-1 CAA Football)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Oct. 5, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Oct. 8, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
Elon at Richmond, Saturday, Oct. 10, at 3:30 p.m., Richmond, Va.
• The Phoenix suffered its first conference loss of the season on Saturday, falling to 20th-ranked New Hampshire. Quarterback Daniel Thompson returned to action and threw for 246 yards and one touchdown.
• Elon’s defense had two sacks at UNH, bringing its season total to 16. That is four shy of last season’s total of 20 sacks.
• Elon heads to Richmond this weekend for a date with the Spiders on Saturday. The maroon and gold is 0-5 all-time against Richmond.
Men’s Soccer (8-2-0, 2-1-0 CAA)
Elon vs. Northeastern, Wednesday, Oct. 7, at 3:30 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. Lipscomb, Saturday, Oct. 10, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• The Phoenix hosts a pair of matches this week with a Colonial Athletic Association meeting versus Northeastern on Wednesday and a non-conference bout against Lipscomb on Saturday. Elon and Northeastern had its original Oct. 3 date rescheduled last week due to weather in the area.
• Elon is still nationally ranked as the maroon and gold sits at No. 23 in the most recent TopDrawerSoccer.com Top 25 Poll. The Phoenix has been ranked for three consecutive weeks – its longest streak in the polls in program history.
• The Phoenix suffered a 4-1 setback in its lone match last week at William & Mary on Wednesday, Sept. 30. Rookie Amir Berkane scored his first career goal in that contest for Elon.
Elon Invitational, Saturday – Sunday, Oct. 10 – 11, Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• The Elon Fall Invitational had to be cancelled last weekend due to heavy rain in the area Oct. 2-4.
• The Phoenix will have a makeup four-team tournament this weekend at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center, Oct. 10 – 11, which includes George Washington, UNC Asheville and USC Upstate.
Volleyball (3-14, 0-4 CAA)
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Thursday, Oct. 8, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Delaware, Saturday, Oct. 10, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. UNCW, Sunday, Oct. 11, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon hosted its first two CAA matches of the season over the weekend, falling in both outings to James Madison and Towson.
• Junior Ally Karle had a strong weekend with 16 kills to hit .406 and also tallied seven blocks to average 1.17 blocks per set.
• The Phoenix continues its long home stand with three CAA matches in four days this week, beginning with a match against College of Charleston on Thursday, Oct. 8. Over the weekend, the maroon and gold hosts both Delaware and in-state conference opponent UNCW.
Pinehurst Challenge, Oct. 11 – 13, Pinehurst (Course 6), Pinehurst, N.C.
• Elon shot a team-low of 303 in the final 18 holes to finish third place out of 17 teams at 921 (+57) at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate.
• Kelsey Badmaev led the way for Elon shooting a third round low of 70 (-2) to finish a team-best nine over (75-80-70–225) for the tournament, earning her first top-10 finish of the season.
• Up next, the team will compete in the Pinehurst Challenge beginning next week.
Women’s Soccer (7-2-2, 0-1-1 CAA)
Elon at Francis Marion, Tuesday, Oct. 6, at 7 p.m., Florence, S.C.
Elon vs. UNCW, Friday, Oct. 9, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Sunday, Oct. 11, at 2 p.m., Rudd Field
• The team’s scheduled CAA match on Friday, Oct. 2, was postponed due to weather. The makeup date for the match will be determined later.
• Elon’s match at Francis Marion has been moved from Monday, Oct. 5, at 7 p.m. to Tuesday, Oct. 6, at 7 p.m., due to heavy rain and flooding.
• The Phoenix continues conference play this upcoming weekend hosting UNCW on Friday at 7 p.m. and the College of Charleston on Sunday at 2 p.m.
Wake Forest Invitational, Friday – Sunday, Oct. 9 – 11, Winston-Salem, N.C.
• After taking some time off, the Phoenix heads to Winston-Salem this weekend to compete in the Wake Forest Invitational, Oct. 9 – 11, at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.
• The last tournament the Phoenix competed in was when they hosted the Elon Invitational, Sept. 9 – 11, at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.