PINEHURST, N.C. – Senior Emily Brooks and the Phoenix set new 54-hole Division I program records as the Elon University women’s golf team tabbed a third place finish of 866 (+2) after the final round of competition on Tuesday, Oct. 13, at the Pinehurst Challenge.
The Phoenix shattered a previous 54-hole team record of 883 (+19). The 866 (+2) mark at the Pinehurst Challenge was an outstanding 17 strokes better than the previous record set at the 2014 William & Mary Invitational.
Brooks’ 54-hole total of 209 (-7) broke the previous record of 211 set by Tara McFadden at the 2009 Lady Pirate Invitational. The senior out of Chapel Hill, N.C., earned the silver medal finishing runner-up individually for the tournament, and just three strokes behind individual champion, William & Mary’s Alessandra Liu.
Brooks earned her highest finish individually for her career with the second place finish. She topped her previous best mark, which was fifth at the Golfweek Program Challenge on Sept. 8.
Kelsey Badmaev tabbed her second consecutive top-10 finish individually, tying for fifth at -5 (74-67-70–211) for the tournament. After struggling the first day, she bounced back with a five-under par second and two-under par final round. Moving up three spots on the final day earned her a top-five finish for the first time this season.
Heather Munro finished tied for 29th shooting three-over par (74-73-72–219) for the tournament. She showed improvement as the tournament progressed improving by one stroke each round.
Sunna Vidisdottir completed the tournament in a tie for 63rd (+11). Marah Penn, who saw action in her first collegiate tournament as a Phoenix, posted a three-round total of 229 and finished in a tie for 70th place.
– Brooks’ 54-hole total of 209 (-7) broke the previous record of 211 set by Tara McFadden at the 2009 Lady Pirate Invitational.
– After earning a top-five finish for the first time in her career at the Golfweek Program Challenge, Brooks earned her first career medal and top-three finish of her career at Pinehurst.
– The Phoenix shattered a previous 54-hole team record of 883 (+19). The 866 (+2) mark at the Pinehurst Challenge was an outstanding 17 strokes better than the previous record set at the 2014 William & Mary Invitational.
– Brooks’ 36-hole total of 137 (-7) broke the previous school record of 140 set by Danielle Mills in 2009.
– The Phoenix earned its third consecutive third-place finish after achieving that spot at the Golfweek Program Challenge and Lady Pirate Intercollegiate.
– A second-round mark of 280 (-8) was five shots better than the record of 285, shot by the Phoenix at the 2014 William & Mary Invitational. It was also the low round for a team at the Pinehurst Challenge.
– Elon, currently ranked No. 71 by Golfweek, were only behind the tournament champion No. 15 East Carolina and runner-up No. 73 Chattanooga.
– The team finished ahead of several other top-100 teams, including College of Charleston (74), Penn State (75), Iowa (76), William & Mary (95) and East Tennessee State (98).
Elon closes out the fall season at the Landfall Tradition, Oct. 22-25, hosted by UNCW at the Country Club of Landfall on the Dye Course in Wilmington, N.C.
Pinehurst Challenge – Final Results
October 12-13 | Pinehurst, N.C.
1. East Carolina (287-283-287–857) -7
2. Chattanooga (287-288-288–863) -1
3. Elon (295-280-291–866) +2
T4. Iowa (288-285-300–873) +9
T4. Maryland (301-287-285–873) +9
T6. East Tennessee State (296-289-290–875) +11
T6. William & Mary (291-292-292–875) +11
8. North Florida (290-287-300–877) +13
9. Penn State (296-285-301–882) +18
T10. Nebraska (298-293-292–883) +19
T10. College of Charleston (287-295-301–883) +19
T12. Morehead State (294-296-299–889) +25
T12. Samford (297-293-299–889) +25
14. Charleston Southern (293-296-301–890) +26
15. Western Carolina (297-298-300–895) +31
16. High Point (305-298-295–898) +34
17. UNCG (305-312-310–927) +63
18. Marshall (314-304-312–930) +66
19. Illinois State (314-303-315–932) +68
2. Emily Brooks (70-67-72–209) -7
T5. Kelsey Badmaev (74-67-70–211) -5
T29. Heather Munro (74-73-72–219) +3
T63. Sunna Vidisdottir (77-73-77–227) +11
T70. Marah Penn (77-73-79–229) +13