HPU Men’s Soccer Drops 2-1 Overtime Decision At No. 25 Radford

• High Point lost in overtime at Radford by a score of 2-1 on Saturday night.
• Sophomore Ebe Kudolo scored his first goal of the season with a shot from 35 yards.
• Redshirt-senior Kody Palmer had nine saves in the loss for HPU.

RADFORD, Va. – The High Point University men’s soccer team fell at No. 25 Radford in overtime by a score of 2-1 on Saturday night in Radford, Va. The Highlander goal came in just the second minute of overtime.

“Tonight was a good test for our guys against a top-25 team,” head coach EJ O’Keeffe said. “Radford is a well-coached team and they had control of the ball in our half a bit too much. We created some good chances and their goalkeeper came up with two big saves late in the match. We look forward to having a full week off and growing as a group leading into the match against Winthrop.”

With the score tied at 1-1 after regulation, the game between HPU and Radford went into overtime. The Highlanders got the game-winning goal just 90 seconds into the extra time when Sivert Daehlie scored on a loose ball in the box for the win.

The Panthers drop to 6-5-3 overall and 2-2-1 in the Big South with the loss. Radford improves to 10-2-1 overall and 5-1-0 in conference play.

High Point took the first lead of the game in the 12th minute on a strike from distance by sophomore Ebe Kudolo. The midfielder received a pass from sophomore Avery Ryan at midfield and took a couple dribbles before unleashing a shot from 35-yards out that hit off the left post and into the goal. The goal was his first of the season.

The Panthers led until the 34th minute when the High Point was called for a foul in the box, resulting in a Radford penalty kick. Jamie Summers stepped to the spot and scored with a shot to the left to tie the score at 1-1.

High Point nearly grabbed the win late in regulation, but was denied by Radford keeper Aitor Pouseu Blanco who had a double save to keep the Panthers off the board. The Highlander keeper made a diving save on a shot by redshirt-junior Pat Shelton then recovered and made a one-handed diving stop on the follow by junior Chris Ramsell.

The Panthers were outshot 26-11 in the game and had seven shots on target compared to 11 for the Highlanders. Redshirt-senior keeper Kody Palmer made nine saves for HPU on the night.

High Point next returns home to play host to Winthrop on Saturday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m. The Panthers earned a 3-2 road win in double-overtime at Rock Hill, S.C., last season.