HPU Women’s Soccer Falls To Campbell In Regular Season Finale

• High Point lost to Campbell by a score of 1-0 on Tuesday at Vert Stadium.
• The goal by Campbell was the first against HPU in 475 minutes of soccer.
• The Panthers enter the Big South Tournament as the No. 4 seed and will host Longwood on Saturday, Oct. 31, at 7 p.m.

HIGH POINT, N.C. – The High Point University women’s soccer team ended the 2015 regular season with a 1-0 home loss to Campbell on Tuesday night at Vert Stadium. The Panthers finish fourth in the Big South and will host Longwood in the Big South Quarterfinals.

“I am very disappointed in our overall effort tonight,” head coach Marty Beall said. “Our seniors deserved better than that. I am grateful for the hard work our seniors have given to this program and the dedication that they have shown to be the best that they can be.”

High Point finishes the 2015 regular season with an 11-4-4 overall record and a 6-3-1 mark in the Big South. Campbell improves to 12-6-0 overall and ends the season third in the Big South with a 7-3-0 record.

The Panthers fell behind in the 30th minute on a Campbell goal by Payton Ormsby. The Camels earned three-straight corner kicks and after the third was played back into the box Ormsby got her foot on a loose ball and flipped a high arching shot over her head and into the goal.

Trailing by a goal early in the second half, High Point saw its best chance to score in the 59th minute when sophomore Bri Jean-Charles made a diagonal run inside a defender just in front of goal and got her foot to a bouncing cross but her effort was right at the Campbell keeper.

HPU and Campbell both finished with 11 overall shots and five shots on target in the match. Sophomore Alex Persiani made four saves for the Panthers in the loss. The goal by Campbell ended a scoreless streak of 475 minutes for the sophomore.

The Panthers enter the 2015 Big South Women’s Soccer Championship as the fourth seed and will host a quarterfinal game against fifth-seeded Longwood on Saturday, Oct. 31, at 7 p.m. High Point fell to the Lancers on the road by a score of 1-0 in the Big South opener back on Sept. 23.