College Men’s Soccer Final – Guilford 1, Virginia Wesleyan 1 (2 OT)

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Jake Grieco’s late first-half goal led Guilford College to a Saturday evening Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) draw with Virginia Wesleyan College, 1-1 in two overtimes, in the Quakers’ final contest in the 2015 season.

Goals from both ends bookended the first half with Virginia Wesleyan (8-5-3, 5-3-3 ODAC) striking first in the third minute when Robert Holschuh received a Tanner Martin feed to strike first on the match’s first shot. The Marlins kept Guilford’s (5-11-1. 2-8-1 ODAC) Eric Hayes (Greensboro, N.C./Ragsdale) active in net as the Quakers’ goalkeeper shut the door on multiple key opportunities in the first portion of the period after the goal. As the half winded down, Jake Grieco seized an opportunity in the 40th minute with a shot from the right side to even the contest.

Hayes continued to hold strong in the first portion of the second half as Virginia Wesleyan fired 10 shots in the first 25 minutes of the period with the Quakers countering with one opportunity. The Marlins took five more shots in the rest of the period, but Hayes made three saves to force the match into extra time.

Virginia Wesleyan produced two shots in the first overtime period with Hayes making a key save on Bennett Wiley in the 99th minute and then again on Ryan Kraus in the final minute.

After two Marlin shots to start the second overtime period, Christian Torres (Greensboro, N.C./Southeast Guilford) put pressure on Marlins’ goalkeeper Connor Kirkham with a shot on goal, but Kirkham stopped the shot and the Marlins continued the offensive attack. Hayes continued to stand tall, stopping three shots on goal in the final three minutes, including one in the final minute, to earn the draw for the Quakers.

Virginia Wesleyan out-shot the Quakers, 39-6, and held the edge on corner kicks, 14-2.

Hayes finished with 17 saves for the Quakers while Kirkham stopped four shots in net for the Marlins.