ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (5-3)
Elon vs. Wesley, Sunday, Dec. 13, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Tanner Samson became Elon’s all-time leader in made three-pointers during Friday’s 77-71 win at FIU. The senior knocked down five threes to finish with 15 points for the Phoenix.
• Elon went on an improbable 8-0 run in the last 18.9 seconds of regulation, which led to a thrilling 103-93 overtime victory over Kennesaw State last Monday in Alumni Gym.
• Trailing by six with 4:06 to play in the game at FIU, the Phoenix went on an 18-6 run, led by the junior tandem of Christian Hairston and Luke Eddy, who made Elon’s final seven field goal from the floor to help secure the 77-71 win.
Women’s Basketball (5-2)
Elon at NC State, Sunday, Dec. 13, at 2 p.m., Raleigh, N.C. (Broughton High School)
• The Phoenix tallied a 65-55 victory at Furman on Saturday in its only game last week. The win marked the second straight over the Paladins in the last two seasons and the team’s second consecutive win over a Southern Conference team.
• Jenifer Rhodes led the maroon and gold with a second-high 19 points after matching her career high with nine field goals to shoot 64 percent, while also hauling down six rebounds and posting two blocks in the game.
• Elon travels down I-40 to Raleigh, N.C., to take on NC State for the fourth straight season in its next game on Sunday. This year’s game will be played at Broughton High School due to renovations in Reynolds Coliseum.