ELON, N.C. – Four Phoenix scored in doubles figures and the Elon University men’s basketball team used 18 3-pointers to defeat Alabama State, 91-74, Dec. 16 at Alumni Gym.
Tanner Samson finished with a game-high 22 points on 6-for-9 shooting from 3-point range. Luke Eddy had a season-high 18 points and nine assists, while Christian Hairston and Tyler Seibring chipped in 15 and 12 points, respectively.
Samson scored each of Elon’s first 12 points on four 3-pointers in the game’s first 2:10, and the Phoenix led 14-0 before a Steve Rogers free throw got the Hornets on the scoreboard.
Elon (7-3) had a 21-2 lead at the 15:45 mark of the first half after triples by Dainan Swoope and Steven Santa Ana, and Hairston’s three-point play with 3:55 left in the first half made it a 20-point game, giving the Phoenix a 43-23 lead.
Eight of Elon’s 16 first-half baskets were 3-pointers, and the Phoenix led 45-30 at the half on 43.2 percent shooting.
An 8-0 run to start the second half made it a 53-30 advantage for the Phoenix, its largest lead of the game.
Alabama State (4-5) came within 10 points with 5:27 to play before consecutive triples by Swoope and Dmitri Thompson stretched Elon’s lead to 81-65.
The Phoenix made 18 3-pointers in the game and finished with a 44.8 percent shooting mark from the field.
Corvon Butler paced Alabama State with 18 points and a game-high 13 rebounds.
– Tanner Samson’s 22-point performance moved him into 30th on Elon’s all-time scoring list with 1,105 career points. Samson surpassed Chris Matthews (1,084 career points) and Ryley Beaumont (1,093), and trails Sebastian Koch (1,128), who is currently 29th.
– Elon’s 17 3-pointers against Alabama State set a new season high for the team, surpassing the mark of 15 3-pointers made against Wesley College Dec. 13.
– Elon’s victory against Alabama State marked the 99th win of head coach Matt Matheny’s career. He currently sits seventh all-time in wins in program history.
– The Phoenix have now won 12 stright in Alumni Gym during the month of December dating back to the 2012-13 season. Elon’s last loss in Alumni Gym in December was on Dec. 1, 2012 against College of Charleston.
– It’s the first time Elon has won seven of its first 10 games since the 2011-12 season.
The Phoenix finishes its three-game homestand Dec. 12 against UNC Greensboro at 1 p.m. Elon then hits the road for games at UNC Asheville (Dec. 21) and Duke (Dec. 28).