ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (8-3)
Elon at UNC Asheville, Monday, Dec. 21, at 7 p.m., Asheville, N.C.
• Head coach Matt Matheny became the seventh coach in program history to reach 100 wins as Elon used a late surge to defeat UNCG 79-69 on Saturday in Alumni Gym.
• The Phoenix has now won 12-straight matchups against its Triad rival since 2010. Elon has also won 13 straight games in Alumni Gym during the month of December dating back to the 2012-13 season. Elon’s last loss in Alumni Gym in December was on Dec. 1, 2012, against College of Charleston.
• Elon hits the road on Monday, Dec. 21, for a 7 p.m. tip at UNC Asheville, which will be broadcasted on the Big South Network.
Women’s Basketball (7-2)
Elon at No. 2 South Carolina, Tuesday, Dec. 22, at 7 p.m., Columbia, S.C. (SEC Network+)
• The Phoenix extended its current win streak to four with a 80-69 win over High Point on Saturday in Alumni Gym.
• Against the Panthers, Essence Baucom scored a season-high 17 points, which tied her career-high scoring mark after going 5-of-7 from the field, 7-of-8 from the line and also tallied six assists.
• The maroon and gold has a tall order ahead as the team travels to Columbia, S.C., to take on No. 2 South Carolina on Tuesday night. The game will air on SEC Network+ and will be available online only via the WatchESPN app for those who have access to regular SEC Network.