ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (9-3)
Elon at #15/10 Duke, Monday, Dec. 28, at 8 p.m., Durham, N.C.
Elon vs. Northeastern, Thursday, Dec. 31, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Drexel, Saturday, Jan. 2, at 4 p.m., Alumni Gym (American Sports Network)
• The Phoenix is off to its best start during the program’s Division I era and fastest start in 25 years with a 9-3 overall record. The last time an Elon team won at least nine of its first 12 games was during the 1990-91 season.
• Elon wraps up non-conference play on Monday, Dec. 28, on ESPNU in a matchup with No. 15/10 Duke inside Cameron Indoor Stadium. Tip off is set for 8 p.m.
• Conference play begins on Thursday, Dec. 31, as Elon hosts Northeastern inside Alumni Gym at 2 p.m. The Phoenix hosts Drexel on Saturday, Jan 2, at 4 p.m., which will be broadcasted on American Sports Network (ASN).
Women’s Basketball (7-3)
Elon at West Virginia, Monday, Dec. 28, at 7 p.m., Morgantown, W.Va.
Elon at UNCW, Sunday, Jan. 3, at 2 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
• Elon last played on Dec. 22, dropping a hard-fought battle at No. 2 South Carolina, 78-63. The Phoenix led by as much as seven in the second period and trailed by just seven with nine minutes left to play.
• Jenifer Rhodes matched her season high and fell just one point shy of her career high with a game-high 19 points against the Gamecocks. The junior finished 8-of-17 from the field and went 3-of-5 from the line, while hauling down four rebounds and claiming two steals.
• The Phoenix returns from the holiday break to take on Big 12 opponent West Virginia on Monday in Morgantown, W.Va., before opening Colonial Athletic Association play on Sunday at UNCW in Wilmington, N.C.