ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (10-5, 1-1)
Elon at James Madison, Thursday, Jan. 7, at 7 p.m., Harrisonburg, Va.
Elon vs. Hofstra, Saturday, Jan. 9, at 6 p.m., Alumni Gym (American Sports Network)
• Elon split its opening weekend in CAA play this past week. The Phoenix lost to reigning conference champion Northeastern on Thursday before bouncing back to beat Drexel on Saturday.
• Head coach Matt Matheny is now 3-1 in games after opening conference play with a loss.
• A conference home and road split awaits the Phoenix this week. On Thursday, Jan. 7, Elon travels to James Madison for a 7 p.m. tip. The Phoenix hosts Hofstra on Saturday, Jan 9, at 6 p.m. inside Alumni Gym, which will be broadcasted on American Sports Network (ASN).
Women’s Basketball (8-4, 1-1)
Elon vs. Hofstra, Friday, Jan. 8, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. James Madison, Sunday, Jan. 10, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• After a 67-57 defeat at West Virginia, Elon opened Colonial Athletic Association play and the 2016 calendar year with a road win at UNCW, 67-60, on Sunday. The maroon and gold saw 13 points from both Essence Baucom and Shay Burnett followed by another 12 points from Lauren Brown, while Malaya Johnson tallied nine rebounds and four blocks.
• The Phoenix returns to Alumni Gym for the first time in three weeks for its Colonial Athletic Association home opener against current league leader Hofstra.
• The maroon and gold remains home through the weekend to host reigning champion and CAA preseason favorite James Madison on Sunday.