ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (12-9, 3-5 CAA)
Elon at Hofstra, Thursday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m., Hempstead, N.Y.
Elon at Northeastern, Saturday, Jan. 30, at 7 p.m., Boston
• Elon looks to bounce back after going 0-2 in CAA play last week. The Phoenix fell to William & Mary, 89-67, on Thursday and lost, 82-64, to James Madison on Saturday.
• The Phoenix finished 10-of-30 from beyond the arc against James Madison on Saturday. It was the 14th game this season the Phoenix hit 10 or more three-pointers in a game as a team.
• The maroon and gold heads up north for a road swing at Hofstra and Northeastern this week. Both Thursday and Saturday’s contests will begin at 7 p.m.
Men’s Tennis (0-2)
Not in competition this week
Women’s Basketball (10-7, 3-3 CAA)
Elon vs. UNCW, Tuesday, Jan. 26, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon at Northeastern, Friday, Jan. 29, at 2 p.m., Boston
Elon at Hofstra, Sunday, Jan. 31, at 2 p.m., Hempstead, N.Y.
• Elon snapped a three-game losing skid with a 52-41 win over College of Charleston Friday, Jan. 22, in Alumni Gym. Essence Baucom and Malaya Johnson led the Phoenix with 10 points and five rebounds each, while Shay Burnett had seven points and 10 boards.
• After one game last week, the Phoenix plays three games this week, beginning with a home contest against UNCW on Tuesday, Jan. 26, in Alumni Gym. The team goes on the road for a trip at Northeastern and Hofstra.
• While it marks the first game against Northeastern this season, the maroon and gold has defeated both UNCW, 67-60, and Hofstra, 61-60, in CAA play already this season.
Women’s Tennis (0-2)
Elon vs. William & Mary, Friday, Jan. 29, at 1 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
Elon at Wake Forest, Saturday, Jan. 30, at 10:30 a.m., Winston-Salem, N.C.
• Elon’s scheduled match against UNCG on Saturday was postponed due to weather.
• Against No. 16 Duke, Erica Braschi had success at No. 2 singles. She lost the first set and won the second before dropping a close tiebreaker in the deciding third frame, falling 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-8).
• Braschi and Taylor Casey played together at No. 2 doubles and held a 5-1 lead when the doubles point was decided. The duo, which ended last season on an eight-match winning streak, has now gone unfinished when leading 5-2 and 5-1 in Elon’s first two matches.
Women’s Track and Field
Elon at Camel City Invitational, Friday – Saturday, Jan. 29 – 30, Winston-Salem, N.C.
Elon at Darius Dixon Invitational, Friday – Saturday, Jan. 29 – 30, Lynchburg, Va.
• The Phoenix splits for a pair of meets this weekend, Jan. 29-30, with select members competing at the Camel City Invitational and others traveling to the Darius Dixon Invitational.
• Elon is coming off its second team title of the indoor season with its victory at the UNCG Spartan Team Challenge on Sunday, Jan. 24. The Phoenix defeated other notable programs Wake Forest, Davidson, USC Upstate, Campbell and host UNCG at the dual scored meet.
• The maroon and gold captured six wins at the meet including five individual event titles. Sydney Griffin won both the 60-meter hurdles and the 200-meter dash, while Lauren Brzozowski claimed the 400-meter dash crown. Carrie Abraham won the triple jump title with a personal-best mark of 39’ 3.25” (11.97m), while Jen Esposito earned individualist honors in the 800-meters as she clocked the second-fastest time in school history (2:13.07). Esposito and Brzozowski combined with Lydia Laws and Desiree Ross to help win the 4×400-meter relay race with its time of 3:54.07 – the third fastest performance in school history.