ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (14-11, 5-7 CAA)
Elon at UNCW, Thursday, Feb. 11, at 7 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
Elon vs. Towson, Saturday, Feb. 13, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon completed a 1-1 week last week, cruising to an 83-56 victory over Delaware on Thursday and fell in an 81-77 final against Towson on Saturday.
• The Phoenix was able to overcome an 11-point deficit in the second half to take a late lead against Towson, but the Tigers were able to regain the lead and blocked Elon’s last shot attempt to tie the game with 3.4 seconds left.
• Elon heads to Wilmington to take on the league-leader UNCW on Thursday. The Phoenix returns home on Saturday to host College of Charleston on Saturday.
Men’s Tennis (3-3)
Elon vs. USC Upstate, Saturday, Feb. 13, at 1 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• The Phoenix fell 7-0 to No. 1 Virginia on Saturday before defeating Liberty 4-2 on Sunday on its road trip to Virginia last week.
• Mario Paccini impressed against 2015 NCAA singles champion Ryan Shane and forced three sets against the Cavalier. Paccini won the first set against Shane, who is ranked as the No. 11 singles player in the nation. He held a 7-6, 5-3, 30-15 lead in the second set and was two points away from upsetting Shane before falling in three sets.
• Singles wins by Felipe Sarrasague, Robert Lindgren and Salvador Mijares pushed Elon to four points and clinched the match against Liberty.
UGA Red and Black Showcase
Elon vs. Winthrop, Friday, Feb. 12, at 3 p.m., Athens, Ga.
Elon at No. 12 Georgia, Friday, Feb. 12, at 5:30 p.m., Athens Ga.
Elon vs. Winthrop, Saturday, Feb. 13, at 10 a.m., Athens, Ga.
Elon at No. 12 Georgia, Saturday, Feb. 13, at 3 p.m., Athens, Ga.
• The Phoenix opens its 40th season of softball this weekend at the Red and Black Showcase Tournament, hosted by the University of Georgia. Elon begins the 2016 campaign with a matchup against Winthrop on Friday, Feb. 12, at 3 p.m. before facing the 12th-ranked Bulldogs later that evening.
• Elon returns 10 letterwinners and seven starters from its squad of a year ago. Junior Alaina Hall headlines the returners after receiving All-Colonial Athletic Association second team honors last season. Senior pitcher Kayla Caruso is also back after leading Elon with 12 wins in the circle.
• Phoenix head coach Kathy Bocock is in her fifth year at the helm of the program. Bocock earned her 100th career victory at Elon near the end of last season and has won 337 games during her head-coaching career.
Women’s Basketball (14-8, 7-4 CAA)
Elon vs. Towson, Friday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Northeastern, Sunday, Feb. 14, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon went 2-0 last week after a 73-51 final against William & Mary before winning a double overtime thriller at Delaware, 66-64.
• Lauren Brown and Shay Burnett hit threes at the end of regulation and the first overtime, respectively, to keep the game alive, while Burnett hit a layup with one second left in double overtime to win the game.
• The Phoenix returns home to Alumni Gym for two games this weekend, including its annual Play 4Kay game on Sunday against Northeastern.
The Eagle Invitational, Friday – Saturday, Feb. 12 – 14, Stonebrook Golf Club, Fort Myers, Fla.
• Elon opens the 2016 spring season at the Eagle Invitational at Stonebrook Golf Club.
• The Phoenix finished the fall earning a top-three finish in three of the team’s four tournaments.
• The maroon and gold returns seven from a squad that finished runner-up in the 2015 CAA Championships and were champions in three tournaments during the 2014-15 season.
Elon vs. San Diego State, Friday, Feb. 12, at 6 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. Longwood, Sunday, Feb. 14, at 2 p.m., Rudd Field
• The 2016 Elon women’s lacrosse season kicks off on Friday as the Phoenix hosts the first of two home games over the weekend, beginning with San Diego State.
• Friday will mark the first ever game between the Phoenix and the Aztecs, while Elon holds a 2-0 all-time record against the Lancers, including a 10-7 win last year in Farmville, Va.
• Elon was selected to finish fifth in the CAA’s preseason poll, while Stephanie Asher, Rachel Ramirez and Sloane Kessler all earned preseason conference accolades.
Women’s Tennis (0-5)
Elon vs. UNCW, Friday, Feb. 12, at 1:30 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon vs. Gardner-Webb, Saturday, Feb. 13, at 1 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• Elon dropped both of its matches this past weekend, including a 6-1 loss to Liberty on Saturday at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
• Braschi earned Elon’s lone point and won her second singles match of the season at No. 2 singles.
• Elon returns home on Friday and Saturday for matches against UNCW and Gardner-Webb at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
Women’s Track and Field
Elon at Spire Institute Division I Challenge, Friday – Saturday, Feb. 12 – 13, Geneva, Ohio
• The maroon and gold returns to indoor competition this weekend at the prestigious Spire Institute Division I Challenge in Geneva, Ohio.
• Elon last competed at the Camel City Invitational at the JDL Fast Track Complex in Winston-Salem, N.C. The meet featured several of the nations top programs, as well as standout collegiate and professional track athletes.
• Tereza Novotna became the latest Phoenix athlete to qualify for the Eastern College Athletic Conference Indoor Championships after clocking a time of 9:47.82 in the 3,000-meters to finish runner-up in the race.